Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been using standard #2 eagle claw kahle hooks and have been missing a good many fish(light drag pulling runs).I fish on the bottom were there's lots of shells and that dulls em I know,but are the super sharp expensive ones worth it?

·
Young Pier Rat
510 Posts
You might want to tighten your drag down a little more. I usually leave the drag as tight as I would want it while fighting a red. Just enough to pull drag if one takes off, but enough to be able to stop it

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Expensive hooks are not necessary but are usually worth the money. However, if you haven't been able to hook anything at all there may be other factors besides hook sharpness.

As mentioned above your drag may be too light to get a good hook set. Remember that redfish have strong jaws capable of crushing crabs! A good rule of thumb is to tighten the drag to approx. 1/3rd of the line's breaking strength. I'd recommend doing it the first few times with a hand scale until you learn what the correct setting feels like by hand.

Also, your hook setting timing and technique may need work as well. In some cases, fish will pick up a bait but not necessarily swallow the whole thing. In this case they are picking it up to run off somewhere they feel comfortable actually swallowing it. Reds usually engulf something whole so this is not normally an issue but something to consider.

Besides the timing, be sure to set the hook firmly when the line is tight. Don't rear back and high-stick like Bill Dance and other TV bass fishermen because you're only using the tip of your rod. You should reel tight and shouldn't need to lift the rod tip much past your shoulder height to get a good hook-set. This allows you to use the backbone of the rod.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might want to tighten your drag down a little more. I usually leave the drag as tight as I would want it while fighting a red. Just enough to pull drag if one takes off, but enough to be able to stop it
It was fairly tight,I just use 15lb line and don't fish for the big ones.They would bend the pole over pulling.Just sayin,it wasn't wayyy loose.I felt several of them and the hook just pulled right out,never bit in.I just have started catching a few reds so that might just be how it goes.I hardly ever miss the sting rays and catfish though.:)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Expensive hooks are not necessary but are usually worth the money. However, if you haven't been able to hook anything at all there may be other factors besides hook sharpness.

As mentioned above your drag may be too light to get a good hook set. Remember that redfish have strong jaws capable of crushing crabs! A good rule of thumb is to tighten the drag to approx. 1/3rd of the line's breaking strength. I'd recommend doing it the first few times with a hand scale until you learn what the correct setting feels like by hand.

Also, your hook setting timing and technique may need work as well. In some cases, fish will pick up a bait but not necessarily swallow the whole thing. In this case they are picking it up to run off somewhere they feel comfortable actually swallowing it. Reds usually engulf something whole so this is not normally an issue but something to consider.

Besides the timing, be sure to set the hook firmly when the line is tight. Don't rear back and high-stick like Bill Dance and other TV bass fishermen because you're only using the tip of your rod. You should reel tight and shouldn't need to lift the rod tip much past your shoulder height to get a good hook-set. This allows you to use the backbone of the rod.

Good luck!
Alex
This helps^ I dont really have a technique yet,just get the pole out of the holder and pull.It feels like what you say,they have it all the way in their mouth and are swimming away cause I think I can feel if come out across bone sometimes.I dont miss always but enough to make me want to know why and what helps.Sounds like no magic hook exists though.

·
Young Pier Rat
510 Posts
This helps^ I dont really have a technique yet,just get the pole out of the holder and pull.
If you're using a circle hook, do not set the hook. Just reel tight and hold on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have always use 4/0 to 6/0 circle hooks owner or gamakatsu brand and always had good experince with them. i dont think it realy matters where you hook your bait maybe but i hook near the tail or threw the nose of the bait. also half hitch has a sale on trokar hooks if you wanna go with a difrent brand 5 bucks a pack not that bad

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're using a circle hook, do not set the hook. Just reel tight and hold on.
Kahle hooks,I never was a circle hook fan but would try em again if they have wire ones,dont wanna kill my shrimp but have about decided redfish dont care like trout do.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have always use 4/0 to 6/0 circle hooks owner or gamakatsu brand and always had good experince with them. i dont think it realy matters where you hook your bait maybe but i hook near the tail or threw the nose of the bait. also half hitch has a sale on trokar hooks if you wanna go with a difrent brand 5 bucks a pack not that bad
4/0 and 6/0 is huge ain't it?The fish I catch are low slots with some high's mixed in.I just been using #2 kahle like for trout.Maybe bigger is the ticket though.I like to be able to catch puppy drum,sheepies and trout too so don't need to get too big.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If you use circle hooks you will not lose a redfish ever!!! 4/0 circle is the perfect size for reds even bulls but i would feel more comfortable with a 5/0 + for any red over 35" also you can still run a circle hook thru a shrimp without killing it. the smaller ones 4/0 and below are usually thin

·
Registered
232 Posts
Kahle hooks,I never was a circle hook fan but would try em again if they have wire ones,dont wanna kill my shrimp but have about decided redfish dont care like trout do.
As for using any hooks on live shrimp YouTube has a few good ways of going about in hooking them to keep them alive

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you use circle hooks you will not lose a redfish ever!!! 4/0 circle is the perfect size for reds even bulls but i would feel more comfortable with a 5/0 + for any red over 35" also you can still run a circle hook thru a shrimp without killing it. the smaller ones 4/0 and below are usually thin
I'm sold!..I looked at hook sizes on google and 4/0 ain't as big as I thought.Thinking back,the ones I have caught have been hooked in the side of the mouth.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My freinds call crazy sometimes but I have over 20 packs of difrent size hooks and styles for difrent fish like reds I use circle 4/0 and sheepies I use size 8 j hooks and pompano khale hooks etc. etc. I guess it what you really feel comfortable with and works for you really

·
Master of Disaster
3,043 Posts
I've never used a circle hook while inshore fishing. When using live bait, we usually use an Owner #1 All Purpose live bait hooks with shrimp or small baitfish, maybe even a #2 with larger baitfish. They are super sharp and I like the shorter shank. Cookie has never had any problem getting a good hook set and landing her redfish and trout with these hooks.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've never used a circle hook while inshore fishing. When using live bait, we usually use an Owner #1 Live Bait Hooks with shrimp or small baitfish, maybe even a #2 with larger baitfish. They are super sharp and I like the shorter shank.
I never did use a circle either,I thought they were for catch and release and I never do any of that if at all possible.:)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My freinds call crazy sometimes but I have over 20 packs of difrent size hooks and styles for difrent fish like reds I use circle 4/0 and sheepies I use size 8 j hooks and pompano khale hooks etc. etc. I guess it what you really feel comfortable with and works for you really
I'm just the opposite,I want 3 kinds of hooks to cover most everything in mobile bay...lol

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've never used a circle hook while inshore fishing. When using live bait, we usually use an Owner #1 All Purpose live bait hooks with shrimp or small baitfish, maybe even a #2 with larger baitfish. They are super sharp and I like the shorter shank. Cookie has never had any problem getting a good hook set and landing her redfish and trout with these hooks.

Those look similar to a circle.

·
153 large fishes
1,882 Posts
I personally match my hook to my bait. If I'm using live shrimp, I go with a #4 or even a #6...the shrimp won't be weighted down and can hover and swim like normal on a Carolina rig...if I'm using finger mullet or bull minnows maybe a 1/0 hook...if I'm using large cut bait or larger mullet I use a 7/0 circle hook..and it does matter very much how you hook it...with cut bait I have better luck leaving as much of the hook outside the bait so that it doesn't get impeded by the girth of the bait...this will definitely increase your bite to catch ratio...you can't know what kind of fish is going to hit any given bait so use hooks that go with the bait...I've caught several 30 pound reds on a #4 J hook...and I'll also catch the pin fish that steals your bait with bigger hooks....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts