Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys just got in with a 37" Alabama redfish...I estimated him to weigh 25# using the scientific caluculator here: http://www.csgnetwork.com/fishsaltwtcalc.htmlthe fish was more closer to 20lbs.

After careful close cleaning and removal of ALL BLOODLINE AND DARK FLESH, I yielded 5.37lbs of edible flesh with a yield of about 27%. I believe the industry goal is about 32%

Anyway I am having to marinate in a heavy acid base to break down some connective tissue and clear out some expected gaminess. My expectations is that it will be good. I will report these findings on Thursday after I prepare this for a panel.

I hope this info is useful I need to get a yield for slot reds to compare the notes. My point and goal is to prove that you folks over in Florida are not missing out on much in regards to bull reds...

Other factors were that it took me about 30 minutes to clean this one fish which was a pain in the ass. I used 6 different knives to complete the job...why 6? Again I performed surgery on this fish...As expected, an electric knife was useless.

I am by no means a pro fish cleaner. I have cleaned a bunch of fish and think I do a good job. The average fisherman with average knife skills would probably yield a lot less.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Interesting, so what made this fish so much harder to clean (filet) and what caused it to yield so little in usable meat?

·
Registered
118 Posts
well, i think chef will agree with me on this, since i have cleaned of these alabama redfish myself. also took me about a half hour. First of all the scales are like plate armor, each scale near the size of a quarter. if you wish to scale it you have to use a garden hoe. so lets say we skip the scaling and just cut the filets off, dont try to start at the tail end, there isnt a knife that will cut through. here's where i figured out a trick, take some pliers and pull a line of scales out behind the gills right where you want to cut, then use a very large and sharp butcher knife to remove the filet, with skin and scales on. Helps if some one holds the fish by the head to steady.now, flip the filet over, cut a hole big enough for your finger to fit in at the tail end of the filet, do this from the meat side completely through, now you can put your finger in the hole so you have a way to hold the filet without slipping so you can cut the meat from the skin. oh, and dont forget tocut the throats and alloutta the head, there's alot of meat in that monstrous head......hope this helps. :letsdrink I fish like a girl cuz i am a girl.:shedevil

·
Registered
186 Posts
Everyone should have to clean and eat the first over slot redfish they catch..... It would bring a whole new meaning to catch and RELEASE.....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just lift a single scale near the head put your fillet knife in and cut away from the fish down the back bone. This way you are cutting from the inside out, and not though any scales.

·
Registered
302 Posts
A quick way to do it is just cook it "on the half shell." Just filet the fish and leave the scales on. The put the meat scale side down on top of tin foil (no pam or butter under the filet) and then cover it in lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and put it on the grill. When the meat gets white and starts to fall away at the slightest touch of a fork, take a spach-u-luh and jimmy the meat off. The scales will stay put on the foil and you will have a nice fee-lay.

Those big ones are tough, you-re ballsy eating a big 'un.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I talked to Chris today. If I understood him correct he took ALL the meat off the rib bones also, which is why it took him so long. I've cleaned on myself and didn't yield crap compared to the weight of the fish.

The scales and all that is not that big of a deal, you are talking about slowing you down maybe 10 seconds. He was talking about getting ALL the edible flesh off the fish except the head.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My point of this story is that they are not worth keeping. SOmeone had posted they were aggravated that Fla. residents could only keep one fish (which sucks) then made the comment that Alabama residents "even get to keep one over slot"

My point folks is leave these guys in the water for breeding. Yeah I am the oxymoron that kept this one...but it was for a true scientific study...and aculinary study. remember tomorrow I have agroup that are going to blind eat this, gulf grouper and swai and see what their thoughts are!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh yes a note on the worms...I saw very few of them...The specks from the other night however were loaded!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have cleaned a few, but decided that (because they were a pain to clean) I would just be a "sports fisherman!" If one of my buddies want to keep a Redfish, they can, but they must clean it. Most of my buddies have become sports fishermen also!

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
badazzchef (11/4/2009)My point of this story is that they are not worth keeping. SOmeone had posted they were aggravated that Fla. residents could only keep one fish (which sucks) then made the comment that Alabama residents "even get to keep one over slot"

My point folks is leave these guys in the water for breeding. Yeah I am the oxymoron that kept this one...but it was for a true scientific study...and aculinary study. remember tomorrow I have agroup that are going to blind eat this, gulf grouper and swai and see what their thoughts are!

Couldn't agree more. Please leave the big beatiful females alive to spawn and re-populate our waterways!!!!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm not kicking you Badazzchef just voicing an opinion. I've been kicked around on the forum plenty of times and that's not what trying to do.

When I first started fishing in saltwater I caught a 30lb red in Fish River on 14lb test and 3" gulp shrimp. I fought the fish well over an hour and chased it hundreds of yards up and down the river. The fish now hangs on wall in the man cave. Shortly after catching it I read an article on the life cycle, how long they live,and what the big ones mean to the population. I love catching all redfish and love eating them too, but if it's over 30" it's going back in the water.I discourage anyone from keeping them on my boat, but I'm not a butt about it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Ya'll just need some practice. I canfilet a bull redin less than a minute. Five pounds of meat is five pounds of meat you wouldn't have if you had tossed him back. Bull red.........best eaten diced up inthe gumbo.

·
Registered
502 Posts
badazzchef (11/4/2009)My point folks is leave these guys in the water for breeding. Yeah I am the oxymoron that kept this one...but it was for a true scientific study...and aculinary study. remember tomorrow I have agroup that are going to blind eat this, gulf grouper and swai and see what their thoughts are!
how will you prepare the fish? I'm interested in seeing the results of the blind taste test. Iwould guessthe textures of the grouper and swai will be much more desirable than the bull redfish. However, one could at least somewhat mask thenatural flavor of each fishby draping enough of a rich sauce over them.

Regardless of whether the blind tastetesters enjoy the bull redfish, obviously, it's in every angler's best interest to return the over slot redfish to the water.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I don't think that I would be advertising what a 'bull' red tasted like since the limit is 27 inches unless you fish in Alabama where you can keep one 'trophy' fish..

Things could get very expensive if one of the redfish cooking critics(FWCC) came upon one in your possession.

We lived off redfish out of the creek where I grew over in South Baldwin County. The 'rat' reds are the tastiest. JMHO C2

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will somebody say "duhhuh" for me? COme on guys I posted this for knowledge to you guys. READ THE FINE PRINT! Come on Charlie2 even amateur posters will read before they flame a post. The WHOLE POINT OF THE STORY IS ABOUT AN ALABAMA REDFISH!!!

Jighead...aint nobody kickin me bro...anyway I did not see where you made a negative comment

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
I too am interested in the results of blind tasty test! Non-scientifically speaking, Ithink the redfish around the 5lb + to 6 lb range offer the best yield, that is a fish +/-25 to 25.5". i think its because that's the point where they lose their sleekness and start to widen in the girth.

As for cleaning Redfish...its not hard if u have the tools and technique. Next timeI filet one I'll take some pics and post my way of doing it. Doesn't mean my way is the right way, but it works for me and I certainly have plentyof experience!

And I agree, put the bulls back in the water, keep those puppys breeding!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts