Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally got a good day today and caught 15 big Reds out of Perdido pass. They were under the birds and were hitting Stretch 30's and jigs when I could see them down deep.

Biggest fish was 25lbs and avg about 20lbs.

Water was smooth close to the beach with a stiff north wind.

Go get em!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We first found them out about a mile past the bouy. Then we chased birds west for about 1-2 miles (they also moved closer to the beach). They stopped biting by noon, so we came in. They were still showing up on the fish finder, but stopped hitting for us. Sure was nice out there this morning.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thats great to hear. We tried them this past friday but we didntcatch any because of the wind. It was blowin crazy hard, but im definately gonna give it another try this weekend. Was it windy or rough out theretoday?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wind was blowing hard out of the north, so it was smooth near shore, and a little choppy out where we first found the fish. The wind was blowing water across the boat when we would hit a wave. It was pretty cool when we would get wet.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I normally don't keep these fish, but I had a special request for some fillets, and this fish was bleeding pretty badly. I don't like to kill them, I don't like to clean them,and I don't cook them. This older couple will make good use of the fish, and yes, it is legal to keep one in Alabama.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think it has to do with age of the fish John. Not sure, but the bigger bulls down South are gold. Plus the water. If you go in the back country with the water being acidic.

But would be interesting to know why!

Nice Fish!!!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Good job BuckyT!, We're just pups, so we haven't caught more than a couple a trip. But we sure have Fun and for this forum we supply PICTURES!
!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A couple of these big boys go a long way!

I noticed your lure appears to be a stretch 25. I consistantly catch more on the Stretch 30's, and particularly the one I have heard called the clown, or parrot. color. I lost my faavorite lure this trip that I had fished for 2 years. The hooks had been replaced several times, and much of the paint had worn off. I believe I had caught at least 50 bulls on that lure. I had fished the same exact pattern/ color and consistantly caught 5 fish on this lure for every one I caught on any other lure. I am pretty sick about it. My budy broke off 3 lures in about 15 minutes while trying to land his own fish. I almost kicked him out of the boat!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts