Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
The red tide is in full affect here at Penscola, I had just called the pier and they are reporting a large fish kill of all species. Now I have my own questions about this phenomenon. I know some of the basics about it but I was wondering how long it takes for the fishing to return to normal after the red tide breaks up and dissappears? Its plain and simple... This sucks

·
Registered
142 Posts
How long does the tide hang around? Coming in this weekend and was hoping to catch a few fish. I was hoping the bull redfish had started to p\move into the pass? Does it get them too?

Bill

·
Registered
272 Posts
Went out of Destin yesterday and we found red tide to extend out 8 miles south. Beyondthat the water was clear. There were dead fish at 8 miles but they may have drifted there by the north wind.

On our way back, we came in7 miles down to the east and again hit the red tide about the same distance offshore. We fished 10 of my better spots under the red tide and got no bites. The fish appear to have abandon the area or are dead.

We fished St Joe Bay last week and found it there as well. It appears that the tide extends at least 100 miles along the Panhandle, eight miles or more offshore and is in the Bays as well. So far this is being blown off by the local media but I think it is the worst outbreak in recent times and could likely have a major impact for several years. With the persistent east winds I would expect it to be off Alabama within the next week or so.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had the same problem yesterday... Fished all my usual holes to the east from pcola pass and nothing... I had to get right on the 9 mile mark to get fish to bite... I saw dead fish up to about three miles from the pass yesterday... I went again today and saw dead fish in the pass... Not good at all... We need cold weather and a north wind...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not on the water enough to know what to look for, but went to niceville this weekend and saw dead pinfish all over the north end of the bay. Ended up doing more sailing than fishing, b/c all I caught was two cats and a spider bite in the dinghy.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I had my Kayak at Navarre Beach Sat morning and by the Destin Pass bridge Sunday evening. Got that red tide cough both times. Saw quite a few floating fish in current north of the Destin Bridge (still almost got my trash can slam for the Destin Rodeo).

·
Registered
214 Posts
With all of this rain pushing threw... How does everybody think the rain will affect the red tide around here? Hope to get some opinions!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,545 Posts
fresh water usually feed the organisms and tends to make it worse.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
tigershark (10/16/2007)So is it safe to say if I had plans to come shark fishing this weekend and drive 600 miles one way I should cancel them?
I'd check out the link above.... it has the phone numbers to call to get up to date info on the red tide... THEN make your decision!!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Went out yesterday in an attempt to Surf :doh ... it's still prevalent on the Beach :banghead ... I wasn't getting in that stuff :boo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts