Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK red snapper fans, the data is out on wave 4, gulf of mexico recreational red snapper harvest for 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</DIV></DIV>1.925MILLION POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</DIV></DIV>This does not include TX or headboat data.</DIV></DIV>Add 1.925 million lbs to wave 3, 1.655 million lbs and you get a whopping 3.58 million lbs which is 1.13 million pounds over the 2.45 million lbs rec quota.</DIV></DIV>To be sure everyone understands this. It means that in just 75 (30 days in June, wave 3 plus 45 days in July and 14 in Aug, wave 4)days of fishing at a 2 fish per person bag limit we harvested 3.58 MILLION POUNDS without TX or headboats. Now to be fair to the resource, does anyone believe that the if the resource was truly in bad shape recreational anglers could harvest 3.58 million pounds in just 75 days? I don't! I have stated above "harvested"! The figures mentioned above do not include discard mortality of the released red snapper that have been caught and continue to be caught and released every day of fishing.</DIV></DIV>Now the real bad news, although I truly believe the harvest numbers are great news for a fishery alleged to be in bad shape and in need of serious controls as I doubt any fishery in bad shape could produce such numbers in only 75 days especially when you look back just 8 or 9 years ago and we were only harvesting 4.5 million pounds over 6 months and with a 4 fish bag limit, what will the 2010 season be? I have my opinion which some of you have heard for several months now. We over fished, ALLEGEDLY, our quota last year by over a million pounds, we apparently are going to overfish our quota this year by way over a million pounds once the TX and Headboat data are calculated, so do the math and understand the overly restrictive overfishing regulations, and you decide if you think the rec sector will be fishing red snapper in 2010.</DIV></DIV>As I have said over and over, the constant fighting over for-hire group vs pri/rec group vs commercial sector vs rec sector, none of this makes any difference on how much quota we get, how many days we will fish, or even if we fish. The PROBLEM IS THE OVERLY RESTRICTIVE OVERFISHING REGULATIONS PLACED ON US BY CONGRESS THAT MUST BE RELAXED IF WE ARE TO CONTINUE TO FISH, <U>P E R I O D</U> !!!!!!!!!!!!!</DIV></DIV>Its past time to stand together as one group, everyone, for-hire, pri/rec, commercial, boaters, swimmers, shipping, all ocean users. As Bob Jones, with the Southeastern Fisheries Assnhas stated, we are at 11:30 in a 12 hour period. We are probably within a few minutes of 12 at this time. </DIV></DIV>WAKE UP PEOPLE BEFORE WE ARE ALL DONE!!!!!</DIV></DIV>

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
bob II (10/17/2009)</DIV></DIV>As I have said over and over, the constant fighting over for-hire group vs pri/rec group vs commercial sector vs rec sector, none of this makes any difference on how much quota we get, how many days we will fish, or even if we fish. The PROBLEM IS THE OVERLY RESTRICTIVE OVERFISHING REGULATIONS PLACED ON US BY CONGRESS THAT MUST BE RELAXED IF WE ARE TO CONTINUE TO FISH, <U>P E R I O D</U> !!!!!!!!!!!!!</DIV></DIV></DIV>
I couldn't agree more.

I wonder how they are arriving at this number? No one asked me how many snapper we caught this year.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry everyone. Although due to weather, family and work, I was only out four times this year during Snapper season and brought home a whopping five keepers. Guess I'm part of the problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Our elected officials don't listen to us for a reason. We bark pretty good but never follow through as a group when it comes to the only thing they care about, our vote. Don't forget any of this next year! Put a little time into studying what our elected officials have done and vote them in or out according to their record. Remember, elected officials are only filling a temp job. Our collective vote is the only thing that keeps them in office. Question: Why would they be concerned about inaccurate fish counts when we don't even care if they read the bills they vote on??????? VOTE SMART!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You, everyone you know, everyone they know needs to send an email to Senator Nelson thru his aides [email protected] and [email protected] stating that the overly restrictive overfishing requirementsmust be relaxed. You need to send the same message to your local congressman. This needs to be sent topeople you know in other states and their senators and representatives also need the hear the same message. If they receive thousands of emails like the thousands they get from the enviros, maybe they they will listen. Go to www.thomas.loc.govand you can find the info on every senator and representative.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Semi-Retired (10/18/2009)Sorry everyone. Although due to weather, family and work, I was only out four times this year during Snapper season and brought home a whopping five keepers. Guess I'm part of the problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Our elected officials don't listen to us for a reason. We bark pretty good but never follow through as a group when it comes to the only thing they care about, our vote. Don't forget any of this next year! Put a little time into studying what our elected officials have done and vote them in or out according to their record. Remember, elected officials are only filling a temp job. Our collective vote is the only thing that keeps them in office. Question: Why would they be concerned about inaccurate fish counts when we don't even care if they read the bills they vote on??????? VOTE SMART!!!!
Not always so easy to do. You may have to sacrifice some other important values to get a candidate that follows your fishing philosophy. I think you need to get in a candidate's ear well pre-election and get him/her on the wagon. The only problem lies in if other fishermen believe more hardily in another candidate. Most importantly is to get in someone's ear and often if possible.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Bob II

Thanks for keeping us informed on this issue. I certainly agree thatwe have to pursue a political solution. But I also think the the Council/nmfs has to recognize that the present strategy is not working and they too need to take a stand against the MSA revision. They have to realize that this cannot be fixed by shorter seasons and reduced limits. Millions of pounds of snappers are being wasted through dead discards.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Jeff Miller needs to get an earfull(if you're in his area). All state legislators need an earfull. This can be effected as Bob says. Where there's a political will there's a way. Problem is that most of your senators and reps make sure they vote correctly on the litmus test issues and pander on the rest. GIVE 'EM HELL. Politely. And Bob is right. All the concerned groups can vie for their share, but half of nothing is nothing. Game over. Your half, my half. Zero. Quit the bickering and unite. There are those that want to engineer us right off the water and out of the woods. Just look at the restrictions on boating is South Florida. Thank God manatees don't like cold water.

Chris

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I found a web site that says EXACTLY what needs to happen. They believe what I have been saying for the last 6months. It is not rocket science. I am DONE trying to talk sense into a crooked politician. I say we give EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM a pink slip.

Check it out:

www.blowoutcongress.com

Start over with some common sense. You just can not fix stupid. Does not matter how much you try to talk to them, stupid is as stupid does......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts