Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.safmc.net/Portals/6/Library/FMP/SnapGroup/NOAArsnprForImediateRelease.pdf

The last paragraph really gets me - come of a little arrogant don't ya think?<P align=left>"NOAA understands and predicts changes in the Earth?s environment, from the depths of the ocean to the surface of the sun, and conserves and manages out coastal and marine resources."<P align=left><P align=left>So.. they think they are GOD?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Mullethead (12/3/2009)http://www.safmc.net/Portals/6/Library/FMP/SnapGroup/NOAArsnprForImediateRelease.pdf

The last paragraph really gets me - come of a little arrogant don't ya think?<P align=left>"NOAA understands and predicts changes in the Earth?s environment, from the depths of the ocean to the surface of the sun, and conserves and manages out coastal and marine resources."<P align=left><P align=left>So.. they think they are GOD?

I have no idea what the South Atlantic Snapper population is like, but at least they closed it to EVERYONE including commercial. And yes that seems very arrogant. They do seem to think they can rule the seas unchecked like God almighty himself.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
If they are soooooo omniscient, :doh and they knew years ago that there would be a shortage today, why didn't they close the fishery then? :banghead:hoppingmad

·
Registered
5 Posts
<P align=left>NOAA Fisheries Service Operating Budget by Major Program<P align=left>Marine Mammals and Endangered Species<P align=left>Research and Management<P align=left>$163,827,000<P align=left>Fisheries Research and Management<P align=left>$327,008,000<P align=left>Habitat Conservation<P align=left>$50,195,000<P align=left>Law Enforcement and Observers<P align=left>$84,809,000<P align=left>Other (Aquaculture, Cooperative Research,<P align=left>Antarctic Research, etc.)<P align=left>$81,869,000<P align=left>FY 2008 Enacted<P align=left>Does not include $66.9 million in Pacific Coastal Salmon<P align=left>Recovery Funds, or $118.7 million in other accounts.<P align=left><P align=left>those are millions of dollars! looks like a lot of wasted tax dollars to me...just because a federal program is created,does it have to stay in place? can itbe voted on by the public to be no longer funded? someone with political smarts please tell me the mechanism by whicha federal program can be dissolved or at least certain parts of it lopped off.

·
Registered
237 Posts
choppedliver i read that list and your sittin here black ballin these guys cause they vote for something i saw Capt Sean Kelly on the list i know that man right there he is honest person and a good man and the last time i saw him he wasnt fat he has bought bait from us a bunch of times and im not backin him up just cause he is a customer and a friend but cause is a normal person like me and you and all the other people on the list . and think about how you are sittin there onyour computer and acting like your something but tryin to black ball a couple people . every man has his decision on to vote for something thats like me sayin any one who voted for obama should be kicked of the forum because they voted for him because of race/ethnicy

and think about 100 years from now is this really gonna matter is the amount of snapper in that gulf gonna matter no its not

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
baitboy (12/4/2009)choppedliver i read that list and your sittin here black ballin these guys cause they vote for something i saw Capt Sean Kelly on the list i know that man right there he is honest person and a good man and the last time i saw him he wasnt fat he has bought bait from us a bunch of times and im not backin him up just cause he is a customer and a friend but cause is a normal person like me and you and all the other people on the list . and think about how you are sittin there onyour computer and acting like your something but tryin to black ball a couple people . every man has his decision on to vote for something thats like me sayin any one who voted for obama should be kicked of the forum because they voted for him because of race/ethnicy

and think about 100 years from now is this really gonna matter is the amount of snapper in that gulf gonna matter no its not

I'm against the SOS plan, and not the only one. That is my signature, and many others on here too so don't single me out. I don't know Capt Sean Kelly, but if he supports SOS, then we have different view points. You have yours, he has his and I have mine.

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
NOAA isn't arrogant, they are actually pretty good with the weather and predicting solar events. However the really suck at managing marine fisheries or the Southeast Coast would not be closed to commercial as well as recreational fishing for the first six months of the coming year. It's a safe bet that the Department of Commerce has crapped it's collective pants and is scrambling for some type of welfare stimulus package as well as angling to open commercial fishing at the earliest opportunity without a single thought for recreational anglers. I'm going to say a prayer and add it to my Christmas wish list that they don't do the same kind of job with the Gulf of Mexico.

It may do no good but I will start sending my Senators and Congressmen the same e-mails that I will be sending to NOAA and the Gulf of Mexico Fishing Council. I hope a lot of other people do the same thing. Maybe if we bother them enough by filling their inboxes with e-mails, snail mail works too, they may actually do something for us just to get us to stop and leave them alone.

Kim

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree that we can pretty much figure the Gulf Closure is next. So, what do we do about it?

Before you answer, I am assuming 2 things.First, is that you believe in the concept of Live Free or Die. And,Second, that you believe as I do from first hand experience that the Snapper are not in danger and in fact are more numerous than ever andthe government are simply incorrect.

So, what do we do about it?

I say wethreaten to killthem all. Not the bureaucrats, but the fish they are trying to save. Yes, we give them a deadline to back off or else pay the consequences. We can publically video catching red snapper <U>and releasing them</U> toour wonderful mammal friends - Flipper and family. This is completely legal. Yes, catch and feed tens, hundreds or even thousands of snapperand video the entire thing while the environmentalist watch and weep.

You see, from my perspective a better fisheries management for all species would be to make the law that you must keep what you catch regardless of size. And after reaching a reasonable regulated quantity, go home. I know this is way too simple and easy for people who like to complicate things - especially scientist and bureaucrats who somehow want to prove that all their education means something.

Can you just image what the national press would do seing all those red snapper killed andfeed themto flipper? We can easily explain on video that your leaders have the ability to end the slaughter overnight by changing the law. Yes, the media willpaint you as an evil person so they can teach your kids in school that fisherman are evil.You know -animals are good, people are evil - nothing new there.

The great Snapper slaughter of 2010! Yes, like they say at NOAA - we need to take these dramatic steps now to insure they long term viability of <U>the fisherman</U>!

Back attcha, G men.

Matt The Boatman

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Capt Matt that's not such a good idea. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face. Not only would it be foolish to do what you suggest but it would be wasteful as well and accomplish nothing in the long run except make some dolphins fat. There's also talk right now that we may have they same season as last year with each succeeding year seeing an increase based on the previous year's TAC overfishing.

That's what the future of out Gulf Coast fisheries is starting to look like. Take this years TAC, subtract last year's catch over TAC equals what will be allowed this year. The big fight then will be splitting hairs over who was responsible for the overages, commercial interests or recreational. This is the single most important reason why the charter fleet should be combined with the commercial fleet. That way better accounting of commercial catches can be maintained. Then they need to come up with a system for accounting for the recreational angler catch as well.

If NOAA and the Department of Commerce can determine accurately who is catching what, figure out what is there to catch in the first place and implement programs to enhance the growth of fisheries, then they should be able to maintain sustainable fisheries for the commercial and recreational sectors with maximum limits and seasons.

Kim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts