Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time we go out to 3 mile we have been coming back with 2 slot reds usually right at 27 inches, the fishing has been great you can catch a lot of trout too. hope you can make it out there. good luck.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Those are some real nice pics, and the fish lookreal healthy, good job guys...I like these better than the ones where the fish are obiviously bleeding to death and then they say..."All fish released in good shape"!

:clap

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ive been out fishing in my new (old) boat for the last 5 times and havent caught a thing. I know you guys dont like giving up spots or anything. But to catch these reds, are you staying closer to the foot of the bridge or closer to the hump? Should I be using live shrimp on carolina rig? Any tips would be great! That way I wont feel like im just wasting gas just trying to fish... :-/

·
Praedator
10,007 Posts
like2spd (12/11/2007)Ive been out fishing in my new (old) boat for the last 5 times and havent caught a thing. I know you guys dont like giving up spots or anything. But to catch these reds, are you staying closer to the foot of the bridge or closer to the hump? Should I be using live shrimp on carolina rig? Any tips would be great! That way I wont feel like im just wasting gas just trying to fish... :-/
The bay can be a real hit and miss type of thing sometimes. Fish the bridges, jetties, and other known structures etc... Do you have a bottom machine? You should be able to mark both fish and structure or holes all along the 3-mile bridge. And over time, running around in the bay, you will run over holes, and structure that show fish.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Flathead (12/10/2007)Great report:clap
Hey great fish! I have been going out a lot at night to 3-mile, and have only caught one Bull so far. Could you please give any tips on what your using and where your going?I try floating live shrimp, live shrimp on bottom, Gulp new penny, trout on large hook, with no luck. When I caught the one bull, it was with floating live shrimp. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
just some quick info for your guys on Ryan (diesel84), he is prettymuch my adopted son (at least in my heart) although not formally since about 2000.

he's just as new if not more so than most at salt water fishing. unfortunately, he was born into the yankee way of living and I've been working hard on molding him into a good redneck implant :)

he just recently bought his first boat after we talked about several that he doesn't have to paddle or work on to get home.

I think he's really only been targeting saltwater to any degree for about 3 or 4months!

he pays VERY close attention to what he's taught and put inALOT of time on the water in those last few months learning.

I swear for being a newbee, heconsistently catches more slot reds than just about anyone I've ever seen and I plan on trying to get him on the tournament boat next year because he's wanting to try his hand on some more offshore. I sure don't know anything about inshore to teach him.

he goes with me to Sam's on Wednesdays pretty regularly to drink beer and learn but I don't think I ever formally did a "Welcome" to the PFF.

I would guess he spends at least 3-4 nights a week on the water so just spend the time on the water guys......that's all he's done:clap

·
Registered
441 Posts
The way we have been catching reds recently is to catch the incoming tide and put some frozen shrimp on the bottom using the old school double dropper rigs with about 3-5 oz of lead at the bottom. The action is fast and if you don't get your line tight as soon as it hits bottom, you'll miss the fish. If you don't hook a red, you'll hook a big white.One thing I have noticed is that on an incoming tide, everyone is fishing AWAY from the bridge. While they are anchored up with their backs to the bridge, I'm drifting along casting in front of the pylon and then in between them catching fish. Why anchor up and wait for the fish to come find your bait on open, sandy bottom when the fish are holding tight to the structure waiting for the bait to get swept right in front of their face!! That's like looking for a steak in the middle ofthe streetinstead of in your fridge!! And if you're going to take your boat out there just to anchor up 20 yds from structure, why not just go to Bob Sikes and fish the bridge. It's the same mentality. Drift and cast until you find the fish!! They're there.

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts