Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I will be visiting Mexico Beach for my honeymoon 9/23-29. I have several questions, please bear with me, any advice I receive will be greatly appreciated! I haven't posted here before, but I've lurked for charter recommendations in the past when staying in P'cola and have benefited from the community's expertise then. I know this is a little out of the area, but I'm hoping some folks here will be able to help me out!

1. Who would you suggest for charters near Mexico Beach/Port St. Joe? Most of my searches are coming up with options in PCB, will I need to plan on driving that far? I'd be open to both offshore and inshore trips. What should I target this time of year? Both for food and sport.

2. We'll have a tandem kayak while we're there. Any good calm inland options nearby for fishing from it? I may take it out on my own while the wife lays out...I have zero experience yak fishing and I'm wondering if it may be more trouble than it's worth for a novice?

3. Are there any local options for renting tackle/equipment? I have some freshwater stuff I use here, but I'd rather not take it. I don't know much about saltwater gear. Is there a cheap reel/travel rod I should look into? I'd be using it for surf/dock fishing, and possibly inshore if I can find some spots to go or use the kayak.

Thank you very much if you're still with me! Normally I would have done much more research myself, but the vast majority of my time lately has been used planning our wedding! I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to visiting your area!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
This time of year inshore in the PSJ, Mexico Beach area take your kayak and run the crab buoys. A fresh water R/R will work fine just bring one of your heavier ones. Throw a DOA or a shrimp around the buoys . Look for Triple Tail. Excellent table fare and real fighters. You will be able to see them hanging around any flotsam including the crab buoys.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts