Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am tired of saying I need to do it and ready.looking for recommendations on the best path to obtain my Captain’s license.

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
The easiest is Captain's School in Mobile. They teach you what you need to pass a USCG exam. Or, you can get study guides and take the test at the REC over in New Orleans. Problem with that is if you fail the test, it is a hell of a long drive back. After that, a physical for the license. Baptist on Nine Mile and Sacred Heart on 29 highway does this and finally get together the paperwork. I am not sure if you still have to get a TWIC card or not but if so that is a trip over to Mobile to do paperwork, fingerprinted and photo. Also get out your checkbook.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Take a week off and go to Sea School over in Mobile, while you are there get you assistance towing endorsement it's only a 4hr course. For the first time you have to have a TWIC card and you can do here in Pensacola.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I did mine at sea school 20 some years ago. Never heard of twick card. I used my boat ownership for hours required and a local doctor for physical. Now deceased. I am sure the regs havre changed. You could study on computer at sea school as long as needed. They even had a free overnight bunks to stay in.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I did the sea school online course and if you can swing it I recommend attending a class. Get on their website, they should offer one in pensacola. The class will teach you how to pass the test. The online one I studied it all. The test is no joke.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Get the correct word here's an example shall, will, may, can. They all can mean the same only the correct one is right on the test.

Reactions: SHunter

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Sea School will make it a breeze.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I did mine at sea school 20 some years ago. Never heard of twick card. I used my boat ownership for hours required and a local doctor for physical. Now deceased. I am sure the regs havre changed. You could study on computer at sea school as long as needed. They even had a free overnight bunks to stay in.
Ron, the TWIC card was mandated by Homeland Security. Any transportation workers had to get one. The closest office was in Mobile or drive over to Panama City. I am guessing that you retired before having to do this.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Ron, the TWIC card was mandated by Homeland Security. Any transportation workers had to get one. The closest office was in Mobile or drive over to Panama City. I am guessing that you retired before having to do this.
I retired in 1980 got my 100 ton license about 88. Let it lapse about 4 years ago just didn't renue it. Didn't want to drive to New Orleans just to renue it. And look at a renued license on the wall. No need to now anyway. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
You can renew without going to New Orleans. Yes you have to go to Mobile to get your TWIC card. Just renewed mine a few months ago. (100 ton)

Reactions: SHunter

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just renewed my twic on the 19th and I dis it in pensacola. There is a place on palafox identogo took less than 30min and got my card about a week later. Simple and fast, that was for my license renewal and never left town.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
Since you are in GB, I'd recommend Sea School. The guy that teaches in PCB has a 2 weekend class in Destin periodically. If you have your CPR, First Aid, and TWIC card before taking the test, it will save you some time. You will have to drive to PCB to take the test but that only takes a couple of hours.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
If youre trying to get a Capts license for a job, I highly suggest getting a masters if you qualify. VERY hard to make any money with a 6-pax right now.
Out of curiosity, could you elaborate? Is that simply a function of being limited to 6 clients or is there some other factor? Just curious.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Out of curiosity, could you elaborate? Is that simply a function of being limited to 6 clients or is there some other factor? Just curious.
The number of 6pax fishing charters in our area right now is way over saturated. Ive spent nearly 30K just in advertising and website stuff the last two years and Im still WAY behind the bigger outfits. A start up right now with out major financial backing will be lucky to run 50 trips a year. 35 of those will be in June and July. The guys that are killing it in our area are either A: Extremely computer/internet savvy or B: Have major financial backing. Fishing ability is way down the list on what makes a successful charter business (not saying these guys cant fish, just saying its not the key to success).

If you had $25k cash to throw down just in advertising you might can run enough trips to earn a decent living.

A master could help you stand out and get other jobs like parasail boats, dolphin cruises, etc.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Go for the masters the only difference is a couple questions on the test. BUT I took the test over 30 years ago so it could have changed since then.
6 pack limits you to only 6 passengers on just about any commercially registered boat. Over 6 the boat must be Coast Guard certified for over 6 passengers. In my day the over 6 boat in most cases was actually built for a number of passengers. It was very hard to get a 6 pack boat upgraded to more regardless of size.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts