Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theair temp was a nice 40 degrees when we hit the Pensacola pass. The sun was still sleeping and the wind had just a liitle NE breeze to it. Sea conditions were also very nice 1 to 2's which made the ride out enjoyable. The crew of Brad,Gene,Rob and Tim were on a mission to have some fun today . The first stop was 48 miles out to the SW and the bottom machine lite up like a christmas tree. All four of us were hooked up in a matter of seconds with some nice Aj' and almaco's. With-in a few minutes we had our limit of jacks. But that's when we remembered that we had NO bait to deep drop with. After catching some bait we ran to the deep side in hopes of finding the longtails bass. First spot was nothing but snowies (Rob was the grouper master today). Next spot seemed that it had been taking over with green eyed sharks. Tim,Rob and Brad just had to send down some butterfly jigs on the torque's in 800 feet and remember they did tell me that they wanted to pull on some thing deep. At last the next spot yeilded some longtails and blueline tiles. With a load of snowies some longtails, some nice AJ's and almaco's it was time to run back to the beach. But on the way back in, it was munity again aboard RECESS. While running we had marked a new spot and Rob and Tim just had to get back down for some more pain with the AJ's. What we thought were scamps on the bottom after being hooked and on thier way up to the surface. The large AJ's were eating them from the jigs. A few very nice AJ were hooked in the process but with a limit aboard already it was the AJ's lucky day to get to go back down. It was a very good day again to be able to get off shore with friends and catch a few fish

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
NICE BUNCH OF FISH OF FISH GUYS, I SURE WISH I COULD HAVE GONE. GOOD TO SEE YA ON THE BOAT B-RAD.(I GUESS YOU AND I WILL SWITCH BACK AND FORTH)I SEE3 LONG TAILS IN THE MIX. GOOD JOB.:clap:clap.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Outstanding! I had a feeling you guys would be fishing today. Jigging in 800 ft. Hardcore! Congrats on another great trip.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
Awesome as usual.

·
Registered
502 Posts
it was great to get back out on the water...had a great time yesterday. As Gene mentioned, we had a good time pulling on some amberjacks and then we went a little deeper. I decided to try my hand at jigging from 800+ feet and i hooked up almost instantly...several minutes later, one of those green eyed sharks came up...not what i wanted to see. Anyway, we picked away at the snowy grouper all day and ended up catching some of the largest blue line tiles that we have seen....Tim was able to entice a few of the long tail bass, and those will be dinner tonight for sure.

Look forward to the next one guys.

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Gene I can only say one thing, man I'm envious to the point of sin! Great job as usual, but I have to say that the Tile Fish you've been catching has peeked my interest. I'm starting to look for soft bottom when I'm out deep but no luck so far. My goal this year is to snag some of them delicious Golden Tiles right in the lip!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Nice haul as usual. You guys definitely are champions of the deep dropping technique by evidence of all the tiles, snowy's and the elusive longtail seas bass. Hope to run into you guys soon off the edge somewhere.

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
Hell I don't like jigging 400ft of water let alone 800ft. Your arms must hate you after that!

Great report as always though guys

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
BigBrandon (2/21/2010)Hell I don't like jigging 400ft of water let alone 800ft. Your arms must hate you after that!

Arms feel great today and i'm sure robs and dads do to we are used to it, and it doesn't bother anyone of us on Team Recess we get plenty of reel practice. " GET HIM OFF THE BOTTOM" Thats why we do 800 foot jigging we are just getting ready.But if you want to hear something funny i sent down the new torque spinning reel with is loaded with 50# powerpro and in 800+ i hit the knot on the reel and never made it to the bottom which sucked cause i had to reel it all the way back up with no fish. But worse than that a couple weeks ago Rob caught back to back nice amberjacks on the bottom in 650 foot now that is got a good burn.

TIM

·
Registered
502 Posts
recess (2/21/2010)
BigBrandon (2/21/2010)Hell I don't like jigging 400ft of water let alone 800ft. Your arms must hate you after that!

Arms feel great today and i'm sure robs and dads do to we are used to it, and it doesn't bother anyone of us on Team Recess we get plenty of reel practice. " GET HIM OFF THE BOTTOM" Thats why we do 800 foot jigging we are just getting ready.But if you want to hear something funny i sent down the new torque spinning reel with is loaded with 50# powerpro and in 800+ i hit the knot on the reel and never made it to the bottom which sucked cause i had to reel it all the way back up with no fish. But worse than that a couple weeks ago Rob caught back to back nice amberjacks on the bottom in 650 foot now that is got a good burn.

TIM

I think it had been about 4 weeks since my last trip and my arms are a little tight this morning...not too bad though. Anna is about to cook some long tail bass open face club sandwiches on ciabatta bread. Sliced avocado, bacon, spicy mayo...can't wait.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Man o man I figured I would be seeing a Recess report this weekend. Was a beautiful day to be on the water yesterday. I have been enjoying it to, not as many fish to show for it, but having fun none the less. Glad you guys got out and put a hurtin on em.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts