Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we struck out yesterday guys...on wahoo. We loaded the boat with gear and ate a fine meal prepared by Captain Gene's better half, Nona. We headed out of the pass at first light, and we wanted to head west and target wahoo around some of closer in rigs. The water was cleaner than we expected...it was green, not muddy. We put out a full spread and after about 30 minutes, SMACK. The reel in the shotgun position goes off. well, we were quickly able to determine that this wasn't a wahoo..about 5 or 6 minutes later, a nice 40 or so lb amberjack pops to the surface. we trolled around a little longer, and then we decided to have some fun with the jacks. We are going to battle some serious fish close to the rig, so we each select our most robust jigging combo in our arsenols. First drop, Tim and I both hookup, Gene motors the boat (not motorboats) away from the rig....5 or so minutes later, and we both ice nice fish. We take turns doingthis and boat a couple of more fish. Well, only one more for the limit. We decide we want to go big...so we starttrying to jig up some bonito...Tim delivers, wesend it down on a live bait rig. SMACK!Cliff reels, circle hook finds it home, Gene again motors away from the rig, and the battle is on. Cliff fights the fish for 10 or 15 minutes, and eventually,a 75lb AJ comes to the surface. We decide this big fella won't make great table fare, take apicture and send her back to her home. We do this a couple more times boating fish a touch smaller and release those as well. To get the last aj for the limit, we turn back to jigging to get a smallerbut legal fish in the boat.

wesee Petronius in the distance and were still in the jigging moodso wedecided to go have some funwith blackfins. Well, we marked fish initially andboated 3 blackfinsquickly. However, there were several boats there, and the fish sounded...they didn't seem too hungry once they went deep. We didn't feel like waiting around for them to become hungry again or run to another rig, so we decided to turn the boat north and check out some new deep dropping spots found using bathymetric maps.

We ended up having our best day for Yellow Edge grouper. They yellow edge to snowy ratio was about 3 or 4: 1.....which is nice, because yellowedges are even tastier than snowys. We pickup some grouper, add some long tail bass, a nice 12 or so lb golden tile, some blue lines, and we call it a day. Tim gets the grouper master title for the day with a 20lb yellowedge grouper. I had a lot of fun yesterday guys and can't wait for the next one.Rob took some pictures that I'm sure he will post.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Great day on the Lake of Mexico yesterday. Conditions were ideal and the water color was much better than we could have ever imagined, with the rescent chlorophyl shots, that we have been seeing lately. B-rad has already done a fine job with the report, here are a few action shots from the day.

Cliff hooked up to a massive jack, he really enjoys the pain.

Its a good thing when it take two guys to hold up a fish. AJ was released to fight another day. We repeated the process one more time then got back on the troll.

Tim with the largest Snowy of the day.

Cliff with a very tasy Scorpion fish, Cliff be careful that fishit'll leave a mark if he fins you.

Tim and B-rad witha pair ofYellowedge grouper. Now thats some fine eatting right there, taste wise in the GOM it does not get much better than that.

B-rad with a great Golden Tile, sorry about any confusion on the first post I was still half asleep when I put it up.

Beautiful long tailed sea bass.

Tim the ole Grouper Master once again finishes the day off with the largest Yellowedge we have ever taken.

B-rad in Sniper positin as we glide into the last spot ofthe day to dosome recon for a future trip. The recon on the spot went well, now we are just waiting on the shallow water grouper season to open back up.

Team Recess

Rob

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Corpsman (3/20/2010)Sounds like a real blast guys. Those Jacks really sound fun...
All of the jacks we caught were very thick...they had been eating well around that rig.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
:clap Tim you sure dont mess around!!

Clif my hats off to ya.. fine jack sir

Did you catch him on a jigging set up?

Allways better with the great pics... thanks for posting

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
NICE! :clap

Tim and Cliff, it was great to see you at the party! If your luck with slick water continues into the warm weather, you need to bring water skis!!!!! LOL

P.S. I tried Nona's double corn chowder (with snowy) recipe......WOW! Thanks Nona! :bowdown

·
Registered
549 Posts
Wow, you could not asks for a better weather day to go and try for the first wahoo of the year. But we struck out. Was able to catch a few bottom fish, eat some good food and talk about about the upcoming season. Another, good day offshore with friends. Gene

·
Registered
332 Posts
Nice looking fish all around. It was flat as it gets out there for march for sure. Water was definitely pretty out around 50-60 miles compared to the satellite data. We also had some luck with aj's, 1 yellowedge, 1 snowy, 3 longtails,and 4 bluelinetiles. Post later. This year is shaping up to be a good one so far if the weather continues to be anything like it has been the first three months or so on the good days. Hell of a yellowedge for sure.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Very nice!! great report and pic's! thanks for sharing:clap

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
First i have to say ,Man that was fun. The weather could'nt have been any better. It was to bad the wahoo didn't show but thats fishing. Everyone came togeher as the team we are yesterday and the final product was outstanding with a few fish to boot also.I have to say great job to Cliff and Rob on the nice Ajs and dad for dialing in on the spots And Brad we are sorry you had to miss out on the big baits being sent down, but you were occupied at the time. But you did score some very nice yellowedges.And for me i got my title back for another week but i know i have some fierce competition headed my way.Thanks again guys for the great trip it was one that i won't forget .

Here is the video from yesterday.

TIM

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
recess (3/20/2010)First i have to say ,Man that was fun. The weather could'nt have been any better. It was to bad the wahoo didn't show but thats fishing. Everyone came togeher as the team we are yesterday and the final product was outstanding with a few fish to boot also.I have to say great job to Cliff and Rob on the nice Ajs and dad for dialing in on the spots And Brad we are sorry you had to miss out on the big baits being sent down, but you were occupied at the time. But you did score some very nice yellowedges.And for me i got my title back for another week but i know i have some fierce competition headed my way.Thanks again guys for the great trip it was one that i won't forget .

I have a video i will put up shortly it came out really nice and i hope yall enjoy it. I'm going over now to download it up after lunch.

TIM
i second that....thanks to Gene for dialing in on the deep drop spots and positioning around the rigs.

·
Premium Member
11,193 Posts
another great day for Recess. congratulations guy's. nice a.j. i can't wait to get back out.

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Gene you are the guru of the deep drop team! How are you getting power to those reels? Are you using the clips or have you rigged up plugs and receptacles?

·
Praedator
10,186 Posts
We also played hookie. We saw your truck and trailer at Sherman Cove when we got there and also when we got back late ourselves. So we know you guys were out there a ways loading that boat. Great report.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Kim (3/20/2010)Gene you are the guru of the deep drop team! How are you getting power to those reels? Are you using the clips or have you rigged up plugs and receptacles?
Kim /Tim was able to rig up some 110 AC plugs. Two forward and two aft. Cheap, but they work great. Gene

1 - 20 of 48 Posts