Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mines Bigger
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to buy a new motor, 9.9 to 15 hp. The yamahas have a 6 year warranty right now but I've always had mercs on my small boats. I was told most tiller type motors come from the same manufacturer in japan, is this true? I prefer a 4 stroke

·
Registered
106 Posts
Tohatsu makes nissan and mercs under I think 40hp. If I were getting a motor that small id go 2 stroke. 4 strokes are heavy and don't have the power of a 2 stroke. You wont notice a difference in fuel economy in a motor that small. You will notice a difference in performance though as well as weight. Yamaha is good as well as the new etec, but if your on a tight budget check out the tohatsu motors. Like I said they make nissan and mercs, but are cheaper in price.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I bought a merc 4 stroke 25 tiller last year and love it. Like was mentioned above it is a little heavier than the 2 stroke, but is just as fast as my Merc 25 2 stroke. Gas mileage on the 4 stroke is a good bit better also. I'm pretty sure what I have is made by tahatsu as was mentioned also. Although I have found nothing on it that says tohatsu.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Tohatsu makes nissan and mercs under I think 40hp. If I were getting a motor that small id go 2 stroke. 4 strokes are heavy and don't have the power of a 2 stroke. You wont notice a difference in fuel economy in a motor that small. You will notice a difference in performance though as well as weight. Yamaha is good as well as the new etec, but if your on a tight budget check out the tohatsu motors. Like I said they make nissan and mercs, but are cheaper in price.
I have an older tohatsu made nissan and everthing on it says nissan but parts are completely interchangable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts