Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well Mark

We believe and I have heard Private Recs. say that we don't catch as many as they say if that proves true we will have proved our case.

Besides if the private recs get the percentage they normally caught in History it will be the same type of season that history has provided.

We believe the true numbers will spell out what we all have been saying. that is that there is no fish problem.

Otherwise we keep losing fishing under the same old same old way of NMFS's doing thing's Cut and Slash.

Don't make Yard Planter out of your boat Just yet.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Captain Eugene, although i don't agree with the charter boats splitting from the recreational boats and taking a percentage of the tac, i don't see as how they can stay within the recreational sector. To change anything here, recreatiional fisherman have to come up with a scientifically viable alternative to the current setup. we need to prove that their numbers are wrong, how do we record catches honestly and at a reasonable cost? maybe volunteer boats recording catches as boats come in the past? Maybe some kind of a third party with no interest either way recording catches? i'm not sure that recreational fisherman calling in catches can be held as truthful information.whats to keep a rec. guy from just not recording the catch or misreporting the catch because they know that less fish recorded equals more fishing for them.If we figure out how to give the nmfs/gulf council real numbers then we have the power to force change until then, nothing will change. How do we change the mindset of every recreational guy to realize that to force change, we need to force ourselves to monitor our sector. because as we can see now. If we don't do it, the NMFS/gulf council will.

·
Registered
490 Posts
bombtosser

Thank You for your Honesty.

I think if there is a stiff enough penalty for misinformation first offense. Revoking License second offense. Most people would follow the law.

·
Registered
666 Posts
chad403 (10/22/2009)Hell ive seen lively one and snapper trapper and the total package sitting at the dock most the summer. The economy has the charter fishing down, so its not them slaughtering the ocean.

I was wondering about that. Almost every charter boat in my area is also licensed to commercial fish. I know if we didn't have charters and the bite was on, we used to go anyway. The only difference was that I knew I was getting paid with a charter and hoping we caught enough to make the bill when comm fishing.

To me, having once worked in that industry, they are one in the same and should be managed as such.

·
Registered
848 Posts
but i would like a list of all the charter captains that spent alot of their years on the pier-just curious
ronnie hogue

ben farrey

matt frum

scotty mcguire

myles colley

i cant think of anymore off the top of my head

·
Registered
128 Posts
The GOMARS plan is still out there and there are areas where pri/rec data is being collected using various devices and web sites. There one program being tested out of NC using a text messaging system using a cell phone. There was a state stamp system being discussed here a year agao, where is it? It seemed to have promise to me.

In regards to the supporters of the sos plan, has anyone asked how many of the vessels that have been signed up as supporters are owned by a Doctor, a lawyer, some corp? How many supporters are just hired captains with no real vested monetary risk? Someone should look into that. How many actually truly depend on charter fishing alone to support their families? How many simply are paid to run the boat but have none of the real expense of owning and operating the boat?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Captain Eugene, in the sos plan, how are you guys proposing to monitor fish caught, and how are you proposing to prove that the information is true? The problem that we have, and have always had as recreational fishermen is the inability to accurately survey what we catch. Wade (downtime2) and i have just been trying to kick around ideas on how to survey what is caught by rec guys. We've kicked around alot of different ideas and probably the best is a catch card that is collected by the fwc. Fwc would have to verify that the info ( total fish caught for species on the overfished list?) was correct. the problem with that is how do we know how many people fished? This is a question for other rec guys also? would they mail in a catch card that was honest,each and everytime we fished, if they knew it would more accurately reflect what we are catching? how do we prove to the NMFS/gulf fisheries council that the information collected is true?

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
Guys there is no doubt we all are getting screwed on the data collection system as in place. I believe that all charter boaters will be on some kind of electronic reporting system in use in the next couple of years. We are very easy to check and keep in check. This year my two boats got checked 17 times. I believe this is going to be common place.

Next will be the recreational boaters, your reporting system will be different, and a larger problem for them to control. Mark my words its going in that direction like it or not. I have no ideal what plan they have for yall but there will be one, its comming.

If you have never experenced full fish reporting go to Alaska and fish. Its going in that direction.

·
Registered
490 Posts
bombtosser (10/24/2009)Captain Eugene, in the sos plan, how are you guys proposing to monitor fish caught, and how are you proposing to prove that the information is true? The problem that we have, and have always had as recreational fishermen is the inability to accurately survey what we catch. Wade (downtime2) and i have just been trying to kick around ideas on how to survey what is caught by rec guys. We've kicked around alot of different ideas and probably the best is a catch card that is collected by the fwc. Fwc would have to verify that the info ( total fish caught for species on the overfished list?) was correct. the problem with that is how do we know how many people fished? This is a question for other rec guys also? would they mail in a catch card that was honest,each and everytime we fished, if they knew it would more accurately reflect what we are catching? how do we prove to the NMFS/gulf fisheries council that the information collected is true?

In the for-hire VMS With E-logs (electronic logbooks) the info would be sent Via the VMS on the trip real time if we get checked on the way to the dock or at the dock it better be right.

As BOB II stated in the above post cell phone call-on, The OlFish program proposed by the S.O.S. group Has this capability. Make a call or text message as soon as you get in cell range and if you don't have cell phone, radio in to your state Leo.

Or State could have the stamp type license with tags that must be attached to the fish and report sheet to be filled out when trips are over and/or tags are used send in report. When there gone go get more

The only fishermen that will get tags with saltwater license are those that want to catch Reef Fish. All other Saltwater lic will only be good for other species .

These were some of the idea's we had.

PS:good job guys keep at it.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Do you think this i going to turn out to be a "PAY BEFORE YOU GO" program?A money backed/based check and balanced system? TAG'S I don't need no stinking tags. I kill more now than ever!

Skip

·
Registered
150 Posts
kingling (10/24/2009)
but i would like a list of all the charter captains that spent alot of their years on the pier-just curious
ronnie hogue

ben farrey

matt frum

scotty mcguire

myles colley

i cant think of anymore off the top of my head

yes myles colley and also scotty mcguire but i thought we were talking about "charter boat captains" you are right about ben fairey and matt frum but ronnie hogue did not spend a large majority of his teens fishing on the pier, yet he spent most of his time working 7 days a week at big 10 tires as a teen. then worked on a crew boat and then started commercial fishing and ya he is one bad motha f#$%* fisherman, and also a friend of mine and a great guy to work for. do some more research

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
when will you guys figure out that the goverment does what it wants when it wants how it wants and we pay the bill they have the law on their side we dont:banghead

41 - 52 of 52 Posts