Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used my rattling horns to bring this 8pt to me. Took this 8pt on New Year's Day at about 7:00am. He weighted about 175 lbs. and had an inside spread of about 17 in. Good G2 length also. Gonna make a great skull mount.

The bucks on my property have been extra active the last week or so. The bachelor buck groups have broken up and they have become very territorial. A couple of buck fights have been seen and heard, so I decide to put on a moc fight of my own. Monday afternoon I rattled up a 6pt at high noon (12:00pm)...came straight to me looking for some action on high alert. This gave me confidence to try and rattled again the next morning (Tues morning, 1/1/08) in a little better area, near to where I know some bucks are bedding. Started rattling, grunting, shaking trees, & more rattling/grunting at about 6:50am. I stopped for about 5-6 min and I spotted this 8pt moving in some thick stuff. He came in all bristled-up and looked pissed off. Making his way around down wind of the fight, (I popped him before he got there), he was on high alert and was looking to kick some ass. I grunted a couple of times as he was walking in and this seemed to make his blood boil. Buck fever started to set in so I stopped toying with him and popped him with the ol' 30-06 at about 70yds.

My dad and I have 2000 acres about 10mi southeast of Evergreen, AL. I've heard people say before, that rattling doesn't work too well in this part of the country (southeast), and to be honest I wasn't sure myself. Well, any doubters now are dead wrong. This worked better than I could have imagined. I think it was the timing more than anything...right now, the bucks are very territorial and stand-offish. But, are not completely focus on chasing does yet. Try rattling too early in the season (Nov. or early Dec.) and you probably won't get a response, or will run everything off.

Try rattling now if you can, and see what happens. I can't promise anything, but it worked for me. And it was pretty damn fun! Has anybody else had any luck rattling...In The Southeast??? I know it works in Texas and other places...Just wondering.

Happy New Year Everybody!!!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Nice buck, When we going hunting.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Dang FINE deer brotha...I come through Range quite a bit on the way to my camp. Congrats on the kill, that's a dang good deer !!

:clap:clap

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Man that is a fine alabama 8pt! I would have a hard time just skull mounting that one. IMO there is nothing more impressive than a mature 8 pt. I guess that is the reason I have 4 of those on the wall! What a way to start the new year!!!!!:bowdown

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Caspr21 (1/1/2008)Man that is a fine alabama 8pt! I would have a hard time just skull mounting that one. IMO there is nothing more impressive than a mature 8 pt. I guess that is the reason I have 4 of those on the wall! What a way to start the new year!!!!!:bowdown
Thanks to all previous replies! I thought about mounting him, but I've gota 8pt and a 9pton the wall already (this one is bigger thanthe 9pt). I know this is being picky, but I'm looking for a big 10pt to mount. I'm willing to wait, years and years probably, but I won't stop trying. If this one had a little more mass I'd think long and hard about hanging him up, but he's not quite the wallhanger I'm looking for. I'm sooooooooo proud ofthis buckthough. And I fact that I brought him in with my rattling makes this hunt pretty special for me.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
HeartofDixie (1/1/2008)
Caspr21 (1/1/2008)Man that is a fine alabama 8pt! I would have a hard time just skull mounting that one. IMO there is nothing more impressive than a mature 8 pt. I guess that is the reason I have 4 of those on the wall! What a way to start the new year!!!!!:bowdown
Thanks to all previous replies! I thought about mounting him, but I've gota 8pt and a 9pton the wall already (this one is bigger thanthe 9pt). I know this is being picky, but I'm looking for a big 10pt to mount. I'm willing to wait, years and years probably, but I won't stop trying. If this one had a little more mass I'd think long and hard about hanging him up, but he's not quite the wallhanger I'm looking for. I'm sooooooooo proud ofthis buckthough. And I fact that I brought him in with my rattling makes this hunt pretty special for me.

Just do a skull cap rack mount.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That is one fine buck. We are not far from you. Our camp is off Hwy. 22 North of Hwy. 31 about 4 miles east of Evergreen but the club land is on the other side of I-65 off of County Rd 29.

We are finally seeing some chasing and scraping going on and with cold snap and new moon coming up it is just going to get better.

FYI!!

There is a guy at DG&K Deer Processors on Hwy 41 between Brewton and the Interstate that does the skull mounts several different ways and does the horns on the plack. He only charges $50 for just the skull (European mount) mount. He does a good job too.

Their # is 251-867-7448.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cobiaphil (1/2/2008)That is one fine buck. We are not far from you. Our camp is off Hwy. 22 North of Hwy. 31 about 4 miles east of Evergreen but the club land is on the other side of I-65 off of County Rd 29.
We are finally seeing some chasing and scraping going on and with cold snap and new moon coming up it is just going to get better.

FYI!!
There is a guy at DG&K Deer Processors on Hwy 41 between Brewton and the Interstate that does the skull mounts several different ways and does the horns on the plack. He only charges $50 for just the skull (European mount) mount. He does a good job too.
Their # is 251-867-7448.
Thats exactly who I took my horns to, Keith Fleming at DG&K off Hwy 41. He does a good job..I'm just getting the skull mount (european), no plaque...seems to take away from the look to me.

I'm located over near Brooklyn...well east of I-65.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know I've asked you this before, but how close to Brooklyn are you? We own 1100 acres b/t Hw 43 and the river in an area called Teddy. Your bucks seem a bit bigger than ours, although we have caught a few nice studs on our trail cameras.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jamesm1976 (1/2/2008)I know I've asked you this before, but how close to Brooklyn are you? We own 1100 acres b/t Hw 43 and the river in an area called Teddy. Your bucks seem a bit bigger than ours, although we have caught a few nice studs on our trail cameras.
We're about 5 miles west of Brooklyn (near Johnsonville). The property is on the south side of Conecuh Co. Rd. 6.

It all about proper deer herd management my friend. WeONLY shoot mature bucks. I've passed up several nice 8pts this year to let them grow another year or 2. We also feed year-round now...that provides nutrient to grow big racks and keep the big boys on your property. Also, we take plenty of does for freezer meat and hunters helping the hungry.

Another reason we have some big bucks is that we have greatneighbors. WhyNot game reserve (huge private land) is on our southern border (shoot big bucks only). To the east and west we have landowners with similar shooting standards, and they also feed year-round. We're all enjoying the benefits tobuck management. Not saying you do, but you can't kill 4pt, 6pt, and basket rack 8pt and expect to have big rack bucks walking around very often.

Be patient and selective...the big ones are around you and in your area. Good Luck and stop by sometime!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts