Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend was heading towards the "pass" the other day from Villa Venyce and almost ran over what he described as a huge piece of wood that looked like a railroad tie. He said that not much was above the surface. He said that it had bolts in it. He called the CG on Ch 16 and gave them the GPS position. CG didn't say whether they would send a response out to do something with it - said CG seemed pretty uninterested. Friend tied a cheapo life preserver to it and continued on.

Be careful out there. Friend said that if he had hit it it could have put a hole in his hull at the speed he was going.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Crazy! The object you described sounds like an object I hit 20 miles offshore this summer. Put a nice gouge on my keel.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That was my first thought when I read this but those pads were more square. I always thought rail ties were elongated square shaped lumber. Maybe 10 x 10 and X feet long.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Can’t believe anyone hasn’t made a Massachusetts joke yet. Y’all are slowing down.

·
Super Moderator
28,376 Posts
Can’t believe anyone hasn’t made a Massachusetts joke yet. Y’all are slowing down.

Dang it you ruined it!!! As soon as I read the thread I had a response!!! hahaha:D:thumbsup:

Reactions: JoeyWelch

·
Registered
295 Posts
From what i know about the Mass,,, it was steel/iron so i assumed it was still floating around. Clearly the OP described "wood".
Accuracy counts

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
On my first charter in 1963 I hit a black cable drum in Destin Pass.

Luckily the owner of the boat I was running was about 50 feet ahead of me and to my Stbd side in his new boat. He never saw the drum until I hit it. Chubby Destin was a mile or outside the pass and said he'd glanced off something in the channel about 10 minutes earlier. I wasn't so lucky, losing 2 shafts, 2 struts and a rudder. Dang near sank. Huge damage. Very hard to live that one down. A Monkey boat found the drum next as I recall. I shudder to think of what problems that drum could cause on a 4th of July weekend these days.

Reporting a dangerous floater is absolutely the thing to do. I would have expected the CG to tell you to stay with it until they could get there and neutralize the danger. A railroad tie is a hazard to navigation for any type vessel There was a fatality south of here when a fast boat hit a barely floating lawn chair. Quick deceleration from 50 to 0 threw a passenger into the dash.

I've never hit a turtle but it happen, much to the dismay of the turtle and sometimes the boat and it's occupants.

I often think of the boats that pass me in the fog running 30 Kts. Of course, that's no more dangerous than driving on the Interstate in driving rain. Folks just don't pay attention to floaters. Swimmers heads are hard to see too.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I cruised put Sunday with the pontoon, from chico to fort Pickens area, I didn’t see it. I found the sunken shrimp boat.!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Running off shore we always had someone looking for floaters / Have seen telephone size poles standing up right and only 2 to 3 feet bobbing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts