Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saw a lot of reds schooled up off the sandbar at Ft. Pickens beach this weekend while doing the family thing, had a couple rods but not much tackle, couldn't get them to bite any artificials... water was shallow and very clear. So that got my dander up to want to catch a redfish, it's been a while after focusing on snapper and stuff.

So Monday after work I had a couple hours and decided to try to find a red or two. Water's pretty warm and I don't have a lot of luck in the upper bay during the heat, but hey it's a chance to be on the water.

On a hunch, pulled up to wind-blown point and found some bait amongst the chop around a dock on the point, and watched a few minutes - saw something busting into the bait, fished it a while. Tried jigs, spoons, chatterbait, topwater, and finally remembered the posts from Jeffbro, figured maybe with the small baitfish I'd try a small jerkbait. Hard to cast an XRap XR6 into the wind, but I took out a light lined baitcaster and managed it. After several missed bumps, got this pretty little slot red before I ran out of time and had to head home.

Don't forget your jerkbaits, folks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Pretty fish!

Reactions: SurfRidr

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I thought I was hitting some feeding trout, so I was pleasantly surprised. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Upper bay is tough this time of year. The fish are there you just gotta work harder to catch them. Now fall and spring it is on fire.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upper bay is tough this time of year. The fish are there you just gotta work harder to catch them. Now fall and spring it is on fire.
'Barefoot' Bruce proved to me that it can be on fire during Winter, too.

There have been bait schools up near my neighborhood lately so I figure the reds gotta be around... Sunday evening after I finished pulling the neighborhood kids in the tube and dropped everyone off at my neighbor's dock, I had an hour of daylight left - the ramp where the trailer was parked was about a 3 minute run away, but I told my wife it was going to take me an hour to get there. :whistling: I had just happened to throw a few rods in the rocket launchers when we set out for tubing. :D

The bait schools were occasionally scattering like something was there, but I never saw any big hits... decided to work the area a bit, and just as I was about to give up I hooked up on something with some shoulders... if it was a largemouth it was the biggest I've hooked around here, but I'm guessing it was a red by the way it fought. Pulled hooks before I got to see it, though. :mad:

So much water... so little time....

Reactions: barefoot

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Nice work Sam :thumbup: Great job making that bait change to get the bite! Those little jerkbaits definitely catch some fish. Glad to see you getting some time on the water, keep it up man!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice work Sam :thumbup: Great job making that bait change to get the bite! Those little jerkbaits definitely catch some fish. Glad to see you getting some time on the water, keep it up man!
Thanks, Jeff! Wish I could get on the water more often, I feel like I could learn more if I could just get out there! Life just gets in the way. :whistling:

I periodically go back and re-read posts and PM's to try to figure out what I'm missing, but I guess in the end there is just no substitute for time on the water, something I sorely lack. :whistling: You're still my hero... I will figure those reds out eventually!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Nice fish Sam.

The fish move a lot in the upper bays in summer.
There are a few places just a 2-3 minutes from the oyster pile launch that can produce in the middle of summer...but from my experience only very early or late in the day and a moving tide helps a lot also.

In my opinion, best fishing in the upper bays in summer come after dark under what few lights we have in that section of water.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice fish Sam.

The fish move a lot in the upper bays in summer.
There are a few places just a 2-3 minutes from the oyster pile launch that can produce in the middle of summer...but from my experience only very early or late in the day and a moving tide helps a lot also.

In my opinion, best fishing in the upper bays in summer come after dark under what few lights we have in that section of water.
Hey Bruce - yeah, I have found outgoing tides to be a big help with the few bites I have found, and then wind coming across a point or current break seems to help some. I know the fishing would probably be better in the sound on the grass flats this time of year, but I sometimes have a short window where I can fish up near the house or not at all... so I hope to eventually be able to figure out some sort of pattern or a few spots I can cycle through that produce on occasion.

You have been a big help learning some of the things to look for up here, especially in the colder months, and I always appreciate any info I come across.

Have any of you guys found the old oyster bed sites in lower Blackwater and in East Bay productive? I have come across locations of some of them but I'm not sure how much it's worth investing time on them. Perhaps when I have a little more time to put I'll try to give them a fair shake.

Thanks again for everyone's input and help. So much water, just not enough time! :D

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Hey Bruce - yeah, I have found outgoing tides to be a big help with the few bites I have found, and then wind coming across a point or current break seems to help some. I know the fishing would probably be better in the sound on the grass flats this time of year, but I sometimes have a short window where I can fish up near the house or not at all... so I hope to eventually be able to figure out some sort of pattern or a few spots I can cycle through that produce on occasion.

You have been a big help learning some of the things to look for up here, especially in the colder months, and I always appreciate any info I come across.

Have any of you guys found the old oyster bed sites in lower Blackwater and in East Bay productive? I have come across locations of some of them but I'm not sure how much it's worth investing time on them. Perhaps when I have a little more time to put I'll try to give them a fair shake.

Thanks again for everyone's input and help. So much water, just not enough time! :D
We've slammed many fish on those oysters. Usually change baits to a jig.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We've slammed many fish on those oysters. Usually change baits to a jig.

Good to know. Any seasonal prevalence to that? Thanks for the reply!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts