Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished for cobes all day Sunday and fished docklights that night from the kayak until5:00 in the morning Monday. So.....when my buddy Ted calls me at 7:00AM Monday morning after getting about 45 minutes of sleep and asks if I want to go deep dropping, I responded how any sleep deprived, grouchy fisherman would "Yeah, what time?"

Well, we all still had things to do before we could go and somehow or another we all met up at Sportsman's Marina at a bright and early NOON! We got aboard and Ted, Philip, my British friend James and myself headed out to put something in the boat. Stopped for some bait and got a good idea of what the current would be like, around 2.3-2.5 knots from the SSE and a conflicting wind to screw us up a little more. Anyway it was pretty snotty most of the trip and after a few drops using 10lbs to hold bottom (kinda) we boated some Golden Tiles and headed in. This big SOB below was the highlight

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
who needs sleep anyway when there are fish to be caught!!! nice golden. umm,ummm goooooood!

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cast-N-Call (4/13/2010)Dammit boy, I ate some last night, <U>probally the best thing I have put in my mouth.</U> Same spots?
I can think of at least 10 jokes in response to this one Catlin

A couple of older spots but mostly new. With tiles we won't hit the same spots more than once or twice this season so we don't fish em out. The current was so bad that we only made about 5 drops yesterday and it was already getting late so we tried to work fast.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Chris

you are a better man that I am as I would have slept!! But the tile looks awesome!

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PURPLE HAZE (4/13/2010) WOW what a hoss of a golden tilefish. I bet it was a good battle all the way to the surface. Gene
It stopped the TB-1000 a couple times dead in its tracks

·
Registered
502 Posts
Chris V (4/13/2010)
PURPLE HAZE (4/13/2010) WOW what a hoss of a golden tilefish. I bet it was a good battle all the way to the surface. Gene
It stopped the TB-1000 a couple times dead in its tracks
I always enjoy hooking up to a fish that you have to play a little bit when dropping with the bull.

·
Registered
415 Posts
nice catch. theyare a neat looking fish. how are they as table fare?are there any shallower water fish they would compare to as far as taste?

·
Premium Member
11,165 Posts
pretty tile Chris. Congratulations. You can sleep when your dead, for now - gotta fish.

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sail7seas (4/13/2010)nice catch. theyare a neat looking fish. how are they as table fare?are there any shallower water fish they would compare to as far as taste?
They are one of my favorites and have a very unique taste and texture. One of my favorite things to do with it is cut the filets into strips and boil them in a crab boil for a couple minutes and serve with melted butter. Its just like crab or lobster meat. Or you can just season it and slap it on the grill like normal and its still outstanding IMO. My wife likes it a lot, and she is not a fisheater at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts