Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my camera ran out of juice on me yesterday so I have no pics of the fish, but Yankee and Crazyfire can vouch for me.

I did a little fishing yesterday and it was a pretty normal fishing trip, other than the fact that I nearly had to go swimming after Yankees net. He was teaching me how to throw a 12 foot mullet net and on the second throw the wrist loop slipped off and into the water it went.......luckily we snagged the rope with a hook and got it back.....lol You should have seen the look on Yankee's face...hahaha. I'm starting to get the hang of them bigger nets.......but I think I'll stick with my little 8 footer for a little while.....lol. Anyway, I caught a cow nose ray and it looked like the night was going to be a miss, that is until my little rod starts screaming! I pick up the rod, let the circle hook do it's think and start fighting the fish. It was a good fight, nice hard pulling. I thought it was another ray until we hit it with the spot light, NICE bull red. Of course I left my pier net at home, but luckily I had a smaller net in the truck. Crazyfire climes down the rocks and nets it. We measured it at 40" and let her go. Kudos to Jeff (crazyfire)on the revive!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Very nice Konz! too bad no sharky's. But hopefully you get a big one this weekend- of course not bigger than mine! See you at FT McRae! Oh yeah, thanks for the call last night to let me know you were leaving.

·
Registered
829 Posts
ray...i saw no such thing...i was drunk throwin rocks at cars..sorry lol....nah..it was a nice fish...great way to close the night.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Dang, I missed the crew. Wish I could have been there. Way to save the nite Ray with a big red.It sounds like you learned the first step in throwing big net, put rope around wrist.lol.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice fish Ray ,wow thats huge,Going camping at henderson state park this weekend.Will post a report next week.I caught a 47inch red there last year.( had to get that in ha ha)PS I would fish that Tpier more often ,but always lose a lot of tackle there.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ray,

You start giving me a little heads up i will start comming out to the peir,gives me a reason to look for some mullet anyway.Good report as always,but you should know better then to not have a backup set of batteries.:poke You gonna be out at McRee this afternoon?If so Bigfishrookie and myself will see you out there,i think we should get out there between 5 and 6.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First Catch, I use a carolina rig with a 2/0 circle hook for cut bait, larger hookfor live bait. I use a steel leader b/c you neve know what will grab the line but if you are targeting reds only, then a mono leader will work. When using live bait I sometimes use a different rig, one similar to what is used for stiper fishing with live bait.

Last Chance, I'll be sure to give you a call the next time I head out that way. Clay should be out there about the same time as you, I'll be getting there a little later.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You seem to have the bull reds and sharks mastered. My question is did ya catch anything in the net?? That would be something new:poke

Just kidding, sounds like a nice red, and a good time.:toast

Mark

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HA! Far from mastered I assure you! I did catch a pin fish in the net......lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts