Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My younger brother and I are headed out Sat. to the edge for some grouper / amberjack...hopefully...butmy dad really wants to catch some triggerfish. We are planning on stopping at the Tenneco on the way out. We are trying to put him on some triggersand still beable to get in thegrouper / amberjack areas.

Should we try to catch triggerfish around the edge or would thatwater depth be a waste of time?

If anyoneelse is out that way, give us a call on 16/68.

Good luck and appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
138 Posts
im no trigger expert but I dont think water depth has anything to do with it. i think it has more to do with the type of spot and amount of mollusk build up on the wreck or natural bottom

·
Praedator
10,006 Posts
I usually do not set up for Trigger until I know they're down there. Usually if I am dropping my bait down for say grouper etc... and I keep getting the bait stolen about 3/4 of the way down, it is usually them little sneaky, little mouth triggers. I will rig up a trigger pole with smaller hooks and some squid and whola, triggers seem to jump on my hooks. If you can get it past the smaller stuff, let it go to the bottom and then reel up off the bottom a bit. That is where I seem to have my best luck for triggers.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
A great way to load up on triggers is to keep a rod rigged with a large sabiki with #2 hooks and use it plain or dressed with small pieces of squid. Sometimes you catch four or five on onr rig along with beeliners.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. Wasn't able to make it out last weekend. My partners weren't able to land in Mobile due to the fog. Maybe this Friday will be good.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
There are usually more triggers around the edge this time of year than in the summer. Sometimes they will only be 30-60 ft below the boat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts