Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start of by saying that I have been nearshore (5-10 miles out) fishing for 7 or 8 years. And I have been kayak fishing for 5 years. I normally fish a large lake that can get 1-2ft in the weather. I also frequently fish a river with class III/IV rapids. And I have done some paddling in protected salt waters. So I am not unaware of what happens out there or the dynamics of a kayak.

My question is this: Here in the next few weeks, weather permitting, we are going to "mothership" my prowler 13 out about 8-10 miles. I want to try for a king sleighride, or a snapper or two. Is there anything that I might need to consider before attempting such and endeavor? haha Things that are done differently on the big water that I might not have needed to consider elsewhere...

I know to wear my pfd and sunscreen and try my best not to fall in. Lest I become the bait. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It's not necessary to mothership out 8-10 miles to catch kings and snapper unless you really want to. You can catch kings right past the sandbars and snapper within a mile or two of the beach.

Do you plan on leaving someone in the boat? If so they will be there to help if anything goes wrong. Paddle back and forth and have them put a new live bait on. ;) That way you can keep less in the yak if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
8-10 miles for kings and snapper? Hell I can get pissy when I have to go more then a mile and a half from the beach to catch those in my kayak!

If youre going to do the mothership thing at least make it worth your while and hit up a nice rip in some blue water!

·
Registered
965 Posts
MillerTime is right. Unless you just want the experience of mothershipping your yak out, you can launch from the beach and catch snapper and kings only a mile or two out. PM me if interested and I'll be glad to share some #'s out of Destin/Grayton that should produce fish in close to the beach.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where I fish out of, the good kings are 5+ miles out. snapper over about 5-7lbs are 12+ miles out. Blue water is 20+ miles out. 20+ miles is just too far in our little 17ft boat. Greyton/Destin is an hour and a half or more from where I fish.

Like I said, I have been successfully boat fishing the area for almost a decade. I've been surf fishing the area for 15+ years. NEVER heard of anyone catching a king there inside of a mile.1-5 miles will get you into the snakes, but 5 miles is where the big boys start. That is the 40ft drop off. 6 miles is the 60ft drop off.

Yes there will be people in the boat and they will provide chase for any out of hand sleigh rides I might take.

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
kings outside the second bar and snapper at every rock pile from 1000 yards to 5 miles.

as far as answering the questions. there's really nothing different to do. I actually feel more comfortable out in the middle of the Pacific or Gulf than on some reservoirs. you just have to get out there to know.

if the swell kicks up, face into it until your comfortable with the conditions.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Low. and the rest of you guys. That's pretty much what I was thinking, but just wanted to check with someone who has done it and might I add that I need to watch for X or to prepare for Y..

Swell doesn't bother me as long as I can see horizon. We went out at night one time and I was fine until we cut the deck lights on. Then all I could see was the white inside of the boat. INSTANT seasick! Cut the lights back off and I could see the horizon... gone! haha If I cant see the horizon from a kayak, then I have bigger probles than seasickness. haha

WhereI fish there is nothing on the 1000yd rockpiles but sand trout, croakers and 1ft sharks. We have been fishing them for years. I fish out of Mexico Beach. Go look at a satellite view of the coast and you can see a big shelf there that runs from Tyndall to Appalachicola. You can see where the depth break that runs a mile offshore at Pensacols, Destin and Panama City is 5 or 6 miles out of Mexico Beach. Kings just don't come inside of this much. WE can troll all day inside 4 miles and catch nothing. We troll outside 6 miles and catch a limit in an hour. I have fished Pensacola, Gulf Shores and Greyton. Things happen much closer inshore there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Where I fish out of, the good kings are 5+ miles out. snapper over about 5-7lbs are 12+ miles out. Blue water is 20+ miles out. 20+ miles is just too far in our little 17ft boat. Greyton/Destin is an hour and a half or more from where I fish.

Like I said, I have been successfully boat fishing the area for almost a decade. I've been surf fishing the area for 15+ years. NEVER heard of anyone catching a king there inside of a mile.1-5 miles will get you into the snakes, but 5 miles is where the big boys start. That is the 40ft drop off. 6 miles is the 60ft drop off.

Yes there will be people in the boat and they will provide chase for any out of hand sleigh rides I might take.
make the drive to pensacola and put in any public numbers past a mile out from the beach and be sure to troll on the way there. you will catch a king on the troll and when you get to the spot drop some cut bait down on structure and you will pull nothing but red snapper up. i make the drive to pcola every weekend. 4 hour round trip and it is so worth it. florida folks dont realize how good they have the fishing there lol, well some do ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
make the drive to pensacola and put in any public numbers past a mile out from the beach and be sure to troll on the way there. you will catch a king on the troll and when you get to the spot drop some cut bait down on structure and you will pull nothing but red snapper up. i make the drive to pcola every weekend. 4 hour round trip and it is so worth it. florida folks dont realize how good they have the fishing there lol, well some do ;)
ain't that the truth I'm on keesler right now and the fishing is terrible compared to pcola. my wife gets mad at me cuz every weekend I'm home I wanna go fishing

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with everything everyone as said. Problem is:
Pensacola is 4hr drive from here... No free place to stay.
Mexico Beach is 4hr drive from here... Free place to stay anytime I want.

after a long day of fishing, I barely want to clean and grill fish. I dang sure don't want to clean them, load a boat and drive 4 hours home to cook.

You guys on Keesler have an AWESOME redfish, trout, flounder fishery down there! My wife is from Gulfport. When we go to visit, I'm on my yak out in the bayou!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts