Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions, & I know I'll think of more. Also there are a lot of new guys so ask away and all you that have done this before can chime in and help a newbie out I hope...

First of all is there a list yet of the fish that will be eligible for points? I only seem to find the 09 or will that roll out when it's time to register

I see a lot of pics with no rulers next to the fish. Say I catch a 20" redfish do I need take the pic next to a ruler to prove it's not 19" - I would think so

There seems to be a lot of room for people to cheat, so I hope everyone is honest. A fishermen never lies...right?

·
Registered
408 Posts
One of the cool things about KW is you don't have to pull out no stinking ruler. Its the honor system.....don't laugh! It did appear that there were few smaller fish last year but you know how guys exagerate the length of things! Of course if you have what you believe could be a season record of a species it is a good idea to include the ruler.

I am so confused by all the comments I couldn't tell you for sure what fish are included. I am pretty sure there will be no large mouth bass and bream.... Oz has an aversion to freshwater!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I agree with Farmer Doc. There is no full list yet on all the new included species or sizes relative. They seem to be working on that still. As far as cheating. Appeared there was more of that in the beginning than later. Some of the dinky trout didn't look 20 to me either. During last year they made some rule changes on the size of a few species, because there were some 12" barracuda turned in for big points.

I would suggest getting the team registered, get the password to turn out to the team, then if everything is not ready yet, just date your photos as suggested and wait til you can list them up. Just think of all those poor trout and redfish waiting to get caught for kayak wars. They just don't have a clue. :reallycrying

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's an honesty system.. However, please measure all those trout that you think are 20inches.. I saw quite a few that I know weren't 20inches posted last year. Heck even I have caught trout that I thought were well over 20.. till I measure them and they are 18-19 inches. Most reds you can tell pretty quickly.. a 20 inch red isn't big at all and I still managed to see a few last year that I thought were less than 20 also. It usually doesn't matter by the end of the year though. Heck reds and trout are only worth 10pts each so I would think anyone wouldn't want to lose respect posting little fish.

Offshore fish are pretty easy to tell if they are of size or not and length usually doesn't come into play on many species.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Linda, it's all about the honor system on points. Sometimes it's a guestimate on certain species. Remember, a 20 inch trout can appear smaller because of the picture(trout usually appear bigger in real life than in pictures). I don't care about those, it's the ones where people claim a fish to be a certain size and would make it a potential biggest species of the year and thus eligable for bonus points. I think these fish should be measured for proof.

It's gonna be a long year of fishing, relax and do what you normally do--go fishing and have fun!

·
Registered
879 Posts
I know that the new official rules aren't out yet, but I was wondering if someone could clarify the mothership clause. I'm reading it as you can only obtain points for offshore species, correct? So, using a mothership inshore nets you zero points for inshore species? Understandable, although I'd rather have it the other way.

Oh, also, must you use the kayak that you registered with or can you use others?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think the mothership is only for pelagics, which you may end up liking. I do a lot of bluewater fishing. I think, also your allowed to fish any kayak, as long as it's a kayak.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I can remember the first over 10lb. large mouth bass that my dad ever caught. I was with him in the boat and about 12 yrs. old at the time. I really didn't want to see such a gigantic fish (to a kid's eyes anyway) killed so I told my dad that I would back him up when he told his buddies about this monster of a bass if he would release it.

He replied, ........... and I can still hear the serious tone to his voice, "Son, there's something that you must always remember. There is no honor amongst thieves ........................... and fishermen!!!"

I have never forgotten those sage words of advice from my father so many years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts