Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Question on early October

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Breeze1 
#1 ·
We have a group heading down somewhere between gulf shores and panama city (not sure where yet) to do some kayak fishing. From years fishing the pier's I have always heard Mid September and October was great for kings and black fin tuna. We was in panama city this past weekend and the fishing was dead, didn't see any bait up anywhere and didn't catch a fish in 2 days in the gulf. We talked to a few guys that acted like the kings where mostly gone for the year. So my question is, are they gone? Do we need to focus on doing some inshore fishing? We thought we had this trip somewhat figured out but any help would be appreciated for sure.

#3 ·
If you are kayak fishing you should be in the water by daylight, this time of year. Avoid the heat.

If it's Kings you want, you should be fishing deep around structure. Everybody who has put a plastic boat in the Gulf has caught Mahi lately plus other species. Not sure what your issues are?

Very late in September and in October the Kings will move back in and the Blackfins will be outside the passes and on the beaches. Mullet will run in the Gulf and the Bay will fill with giant Kings. Usually, the 3rd week of October is one of the best King fishing weeks of the year.

Most people will be sitting in a tree bowhunting and you will have it all to yourself.

#4 · (Edited)
I don't know about further down the Florida Panhandle- but I do some of my best king mackerel fishing in late September and October, for us mostly from 8 - 12 miles out - but as I recall, there were boats closer in catching them too. As it has been said- check around structure and where bait is congregating.
Having said that, it will depend on the conditions too. My consideration was always to the effect that the water is cooler in late Sept and Oct- they aught to be more readily accessible in shallower waters - as opposed to hot summer days when you'd typically have to use a planer or heavy lead to get the baits down to where they are hiding form the heat! But if we were to have a cooler fall, and the water temps fall below 70- the Kings will move away- either into deeper waters offshore or out of our area altogether (I have typically observed by mid Nov).
But even then there are always other species to attack! And I don't know about you, but I don't think there is anything as much fun as watching a school of bull redfish chasing a topwater lure or a good ol sleigh ride by one on the end of your rod!
As always, Just some of my personal observations (I don't claim to be a pro).
I hope this was helpful - good luck and tight lines!
Mike

#5 ·
We probly just wasnt doing somthing rite. This was only our 2nd time in a kayak in the gulf. First time went out from little lagoon and caught 2 jacks, a king and hooked 2 tarpon between 3 of us. Seemed easy but there was bait all around we could paddle to. This time water was super clear and flat, bait was there but deep. We just flat lined live cigars and tried around the jetties with bull minnows we had bought.

#6 ·
Just remember- some days it just don't happen! That's why they call it fishin'- not "catchin"- lol. I've had plenty of days I saw the fish- but they just wouldn't bite! I personally believe the bite is better when the water is a little dirty (helps hide the line and leaders) and the water has a chop to it! :)

#7 ·
I feel you, especially after seeing all the amazing reports from the seasoned guys slaying dozens of mahi. Went out from Destin for six hours last sunday working live cigs, sardines and baby bonita from 20' to out a mile and a half in 60'. Only keeper was one spanish, two other guys out there around the same time had a total of 2 schoolie kings. Just going to keep trying, and putting the time in. It'll pay off sooner or later.

#10 ·
If you want offshore its worth your efforts to run down to Navarre, its a primo yak spot. I uses to offshore in GS and it just doesn't produce as consistently as GS, you also won't have the variety of mahi, tuna, sails, mostly kings and Spanish. I live in Mobile but never fish offshore in GS, I always go to Navarre. Inshore is a different story.

#11 ·
Well andrewsa43's comment broke the cammels back. We was leaning Navarre but didn't think it would make much difference. We canceled our reservations and are gonna find a spot in Navarre. As far as I know none of us have ever been there so any info on launch spots or anything will be greatly appreciated. We are all pretty new to saltwater in kayaks. 3 of us have been twice. Thanks for all the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.