Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have very little knowledge in the A.R. field. Only that my son borrowed a very good friend of ours one weekend and he has been wanting one since. He has a tikka now, JJ needs a new riffle and likes the tikka, so may as well only buy one gun, lol.

My question is this? What type is easy to operate, easy to maintain and something he can improve on as he ages or wants too. He will need to be able to cover 300 yrds pretty easy. He wants it in a .308. There are so many options idk where to begin. Also do the A.R. require a specific optic?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
It'll make him strong! The AR10 is great, but an absolute boat anchor.

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
Agree, the one he used was a RRA, still weighed 8 or 9 lbs?
For sure. I wouldn't bother with building one. Buy a rock river and be done with it. They make a great rifle.

You could do a few upgrades to it, like a geissele trigger which would really make it a quality hunting rifle. You'll be in it a pretty penny for sure.

I contemplated an AR-10 for a long time, and at the end of the day, I bought a BAR in .308... and it's a boat anchor. Lol.

I want a tikka now.

·
Praedator
10,061 Posts
Stick with a full rifle. Don't build one. Stick with the DPMS standard or Armalite standard.

Mine is a DPMS LR-308 with a 16" barrel. Have no problem taking shots out to 300 yards. It's the top rifle. I've turned it into my pig night hunter with the night scope now though.

·
Constitution Conservative
2,581 Posts
Most of the AR10s are good rifles, all of the regular big names produce a reliable, quality rifle, LWRC, GA Precision, Sig Sauer, Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River Arms, Smith & Wesson and so on.
You can buy a basic rifle starting around $1200-$1400.00, e.g. DPMS Panther Lite or S&W M&P 10.
The high end rifles can get pricey, the LWRC REPR Fluted is damned nice and better be at $3500+

All of them are easy to operate and maintain, and all are easily modifiable with whatever AR10 compatible add-ons his heart could desire.

300 yards, you're not even stretching this rifle/caliber legs yet, anyone can shoot these to 300.
600 target shooting with iron sights is easily accomplished, and you can go 800+.

As for optics, any regular or .308 specific optic, on just about any picatinny compatible mount.

Sheeez guys, the answer to all of this is just to... Buy them all, after all one can never have enough rifles in .308.
I've three so far, and an AR10 is next.
Saiga.ver-21.308
Savage, 116/FCSS Weather Warrior .308
Springfield Arms M1A, Standard .308

Reactions: John B.

·
Praedator
10,061 Posts
and all are easily modifiable with whatever AR10 compatible add-ons his heart could desire.
This is where you can get into trouble with the .308 platform AR. There is no standard like the AR-15 rifle. So a lot of parts are NOT interchangeable!!!!! Many companies have proprietary magazines etc...

If whatever rifle you choose will accept the Armalite or DPMS magazines and those standard parts, they seem to be the most prevalent out there. There is even a new and old version of the DPMS lowers out there etc... in the .308 AR platform world.

But if you stick with a complete rifle and look to make sure the mags are plentiful and available, go with any of the name brand guys out there and it will be just fine. Just understand that parts are not as interchangeable like a standard AR-15 pattern rifle.

Jason, if you and your boys want to come try out the LR-308, I'm sure we can arrange it. They can even use the day/night scope and you can view what they are looking at on my cell phone! :)

·
Constitution Conservative
2,581 Posts
This is where you can get into trouble with the .308 platform AR. There is no standard like the AR-15 rifle. So a lot of parts are NOT interchangeable!!!!! Many companies have proprietary magazines etc...

Jason, if you and your boys want to come try out the LR-308, I'm sure we can arrange it. They can even use the day/night scope and you can view what they are looking at on my cell phone! :)
You're correct, there are proprietary parts and other differences between various manufacturers.
E.g. various mags, trigger pin size, barrel threading, free float forearm mounts, piston or DI and etc.
I take it for granted that people are aware enough to know what they have and what they need, e.g. what threading they need to match for a new comp/brake for instance or if their rifle will take a PMag.
If they don't, they should ask, even with standardized AR15s.

Lots more great makes/models out there than just DPMS and Armalite, don't be limited in your search.

Great offer right there, to try out the LR308, take TP up on it.
DPMS is oft under rated for many things, but their AR10s are good stuff.
Look around and I bet you find one On-Sale for Christmas.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Check academy Jaster , DPMS LR 308 like tp has around 700.00. I'm very happy with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts