Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy a used PA (2010 model) and before I go look at it, can anyone give me some advise on what to look for to see if this is a good, sound yak? I have not bought a kayak before and this will be my first so I am really inexperienced when it comes to common knowledge. I do know the yak has a fish finder that the seller said was professionally installed and the transducer was attached by drilling a hole in the bottom of the yak. I would appreciate any thoughts/advise. I appreciate folks and if it works out, maybe I can see some of you out on the gulf!

· Registered
716 Posts
Check the scupper holes to make sure there is no damage I them as some of the earlier models were weaker in those areas and some people had issues with them getting leaks and ripping holes in them with the scupper carts. Look for obvious holes and excessive wear. Check the mirage drive to make sure it's in good shape and not beat to hell as that's your engine and new ones cost about $600 for the turbo fitted ones. Check the fins to make sure there are no holes in them. If there is its an easy fix as each in blade only runs about $26. Not too much can go wrong with them and maintenance I nothing like a real boat.

· Senior Yakker
2,845 Posts
Drilling holes if done properly shouldn't be a problem. This is done frequently in boats so why should it be a problem in a kayak?
Because the transducer can, just as easily, be attached to the inside of the hull. I've never even heard of attaching one with screws on a kayak. Not that it couldn't be done, but I wouldn't want it attached to the bottom of my PA. With all the dragging around/loading/unloading, just seems like it would get damaged/ripped out easily. If this was done by a pro, he's a pro boat guy...not a pro yak guy.

Mountaingirl, if it looks like a good deal, don't let the transducer thing bother you. You could easily remove and reinstall it. The holes should patch easily, with the right stuff. Make sure the mirage drive feels/looks good. Check out the bottom of the hull, there will be scratches. If it looks like it's been wore the hell out, push in on the bad areas. If it gives a little, and feels thin, that's bad...real bad. Deploy the rudder to make sure it works right. Look where the seat bolts down to the yak, may be lots of corrosion on the holes in the seat base. These are the only things I think you should be concerned with. It's a pretty rugged boat.

· OSOK
4,203 Posts
Drilling holes if done properly shouldn't be a problem. This is done frequently in boats so why should it be a problem in a kayak?
Fiberglass is a lot more rigid than PE. I would be very concerned about that, not like you have a bilge pump in there....

· Registered
5,784 Posts
Depending on how the transducer was installed it shouldnt be an issue.
That being said you need to to check it carefully thay is alot of money on the line. Definitly ask to out that kayak on the water and check for leaks concentrating on the transducer area. Ive seen some really clean installs with the transducer flush mounted on the bottom of the kayak.

I the kayak is in my neck of the woods I can look at it with ya. Im no expert but have owned my fair share of kayaks. Plus it never hurts to have another set of eyes to check

If its far from me post a picture on this post of how the transducer is installed. My phone alerts me when something new is posted.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This helps a lot!

Your input is really helping guys! I appreciate it soooo much! The transducer thing was/is definately a red flag for me but again, I don't know enough about them to judge the yak on that. I guess what I really like is that it comes on a new boat trailer and that would be much easier for me (yes I'm playing the chick card here) to load and unload. It also has a trolling motor (which I don't see the use of since the thing is a mirage drive anyway). I'm supposed to go and look at it tomorrow and decide. The other down side is that it is olive. While that is great for the lakes I am concerned after the recent thread that I will be a crash test dummy in the gulf! Again thanks for all the comments and keep them coming!

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the offer oxbeast and I would love to have someone look at it with me but I'm afraid its up here in the mountains. Now if anybody wants to ride up today and we will hit the trout streams monday I'm all up for that! lol

· Senior Yakker
2,845 Posts
Thanks for the offer oxbeast and I would love to have someone look at it with me but I'm afraid its up here in the mountains. Now if anybody wants to ride up today and we will hit the trout streams monday I'm all up for that! lol
Funny, I'll be camping on the Etowah River outside of Cartersville next weekend. Don't know that I'd be in the position to come look at a kayak though. I won't be in my own vehicle.

I like the olive green PA. Mine is olive. I chose it because I've had 2 yellow yaks and 1 olive yak in the past. The green doesn't seem to spook fish as bad in clear water, especially in clear freshwater...I'm just another log out there.

Hey, not to hijack your thread here, but any advice on how to pull some big ol' stripers out of them N Georgia rivers?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions. Yakavelli, I'm not an expert on the etowah but there is a flyshop in Cartersville (Cohutta fishing co.) that may be able to give you some tips. There is also a kayak fishing forum for Georgia and usually there are several reports for Carters lake (near ellijay) that has great striper fishing. Best of luck on your trip. Now if you venture north to rainbow, brown and brookie country give me a shout and I'll set you up on some awesome flyfishing in the rivers/streams.

Pete, I plan on using this yak mainly on lakes, ponds and saltwater. I have a small pontoon boat and access to a drift boat that I fish the rivers up here.
Thanks again guys and I'll keep you posted later today if I get the thing.

· Senior Yakker
2,845 Posts
Thanks. I've never caught a freshwater trout. Never tried. Do know my way around a fly rod though, barely. I'll be sure to hit up Cohutta when I get there. My aunt/uncle have a cabin in Ellijay, I may have to see about using it some time for a Carters lake trip. Thanks again for the tips. Good luck with the PA

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.