Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a dog not pee or poop outside if it is to cold outside? This poor pup will hold it and hold it and I mean hold it. For now we have been feeding her chicken and rice (what the vet said to do) to put some weight back on her. Well she will sniff around and I will take her outside for 30 minutes at a time. She NEVER uses the bathroom but as soon as we get back inside bam pee... Also for the last two days she hasn't pooped. She will squat to poop then I grab her, put her outside and stand outside with her to make a visual that she did take a poop and nothing. Well she finally pooped in her but it was in her kennel. It isn't hard for me to break a dog of this usually. I'm just curious if they do that if it gets cold? My other dog doesn't care she always barks to go outside, but she also has a thicker coat and some meat on her bones compared to my new dog.

I posted this in here because I know most of us have dogs vs the off topic section.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
My lab actually prefers cold weather, and I'm pretty sure it actually energizes her haha. Now if your dog has a problem staying warm, she may not be able to correct the proper muscles to go. If she's cold, all of her muscles will contract to create friction and warm her up. Not saying the cold weather will stop her from going, just saying that could be one explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Never heard being cold being a detriment.
Is the other dog super dominant and domineering over this new dog?
Maybe try taking her out to the front yard versus the marked territory of the other dog ?
As an experiment.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My lab actually prefers cold weather, and I'm pretty sure it actually energizes her haha. Now if your dog has a problem staying warm, she may not be able to correct the proper muscles to go. If she's cold, all of her muscles will contract to create friction and warm her up. Not saying the cold weather will stop her from going, just saying that could be one explanation.

Yeah she barely has a coat on her. She honestly barely had any muscle on her. It was the dog I rescued from Saltwaterbuck that was found in BW. Thats why I am thinking it is the cold. She will hardly walk around outside but inside she will bounce off the walls. And my lab mix prefers the cold to. She bounces all through the yard and doesn't want to come back inside.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never heard being cold being a detriment.
Is the other dog super dominant and domineering over this new dog?
Maybe try taking her out to the front yard versus the marked territory of the other dog ?
As an experiment.
No my other dog never is dominant over any dog. She just loves on other dogs and plays with other dogs. Never growls at other dogs at all. And I have walked her EVERYWHERE.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
No my other dog never is dominant over any dog. She just loves on other dogs and plays with other dogs. Never growls at other dogs at all. And I have walked her EVERYWHERE.

Maybe try tailoring a blanket to fit around her midsection to keep her warm, then take her outside. That should solve the conundrum.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Both my dogs were peeing outside at -11 this morning. Of course, they are Yankee dogs and used to it.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe try tailoring a blanket to fit around her midsection to keep her warm, then take her outside. That should solve the conundrum.

Didn't think about that. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
My Rottweiler loves the cold. I'm wondering if the dog associated being outside as punishment. There's no telling what its been through. May take a little bit to get comfortable in new surroundings. Try treats and praise while outside.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Rottweiler loves the cold. I'm wondering if the dog associated being outside as punishment. There's no telling what its been through. May take a little bit to get comfortable in new surroundings. Try treats and praise while outside.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to praise her for anything outside. I do play with her but as soon as we get outside she is stiff as a board. Inside she is a whole new dog. I hope no one beat her before they through her out in BW.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
How long have you had her? She might still be shook up from being stranded in the woods. Maybe it will just take her a little time to realize she is there for good

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
If she hasn't pooped get a can of pumpkin like you would use in a pie. Just no pumpkin spice. About a half can. She will go poop in a few hours after that use it on our dog a few times when she gets into something that locks her up

somewhere in a tree

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
My guess would be that it is just going to take time and working with her, just like you are doing. She's never been house-trained and she probably loves her inside life and associates outside with bad things. No telling what she has been thru being abandoned in the woods and she is afraid when you take her outside that is what's going to happen to her again.

·
Registered
14,773 Posts
If she hasn't pooped get a can of pumpkin like you would use in a pie. Just no pumpkin spice. About a half can. She will go poop in a few hours after that use it on our dog a few times when she gets into something that locks her up

somewhere in a tree
I love pumpkin, Will that work for me?

·
Registered
14,773 Posts
Our lab always loves Jack-o-lantern carving time! She gets all the pumpkin guts and seeds she can eat then plants them all over the yard for me over the next few days. Really nice to step in gold dog crap with pumpkin seeds!

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
she was definately whooped ive never seen a dog jump so bad when i first went to pet her . and im sure the cold is rough on her right now as skinny as she is poor girl has had it bad. i believe she'll come around tho

1 - 20 of 26 Posts