Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I know that when you gut hook a fish and leave the hook inside the fish is fine and the hook dissolves. Today I went fishing with a guide here in Jacksonville and to fish dead bait on the bottom he used a jig head as a hook, one of which was swallowed by a 29" red. So my question is, as the lead inside that fish dissolves would it harm the fish, the person who ate the fish (supposing it was legal) or both? Would this increase lead levels in the fish?

Chuck

·
Registered
92 Posts
i've eaten doves,quail, and a bunch of other animals that were killed with lead shot. chewed on split shot and crimped em with my teeth. i doubt it would hurt the fish to have a jig in its stomach.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Lead only causes cancer in California:poke Just kidding. Im no expert either but I would think with a fish swimming around with led in his body that he would have more time to absorb harmful levels, verses shooting a dove and then eating it shortly there after. And that's all I have to say about that.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Midnight Rider (12/28/2007)Lead only causes cancer in California:poke Just kidding. Im no expert either but I would think with a fish swimming around with led in his body that he would have more time to absorb harmful levels, verses shooting a dove and then eating it shortly there after. And that's all I have to say about that.
YEA, I would have to agree BUT........ only an idiot would jump to conclusions and think that eating a fishwith a lead weight, not calling the poster an idiot by no means so don't take it that way, could or WOULD infect you. I know a couple of folks walking around with bullets in them now that the doctors wouldn't take the bullet out because it was to close to a major organ and would cause more damage by trying to take it out. LEAD POISIONING was the last of there thoughts.

It took 8 years on one but yes it moved and caused a mild stroke. WIth saying that the doctor took the chance that a heart attack would happen BEOFRE LEAD POISIONING.

You make your own conclusions but I REALLY don't think it would take someone who is a BIO SCIENCIST to figure that out just someone with common sense.

Then agian, lets look at GLOBAL WARMING, call in the experts. LOL...........

One more thing, IF YOU ARE OLD ENOUGH, did any of your friends DIE of lead poisioning playing with thier toys??????????????????????

If you are talking about a 8oz croacker eating a 16oz lead weight then........... I MIGHT be able to see some harm..... LOL.............

EDITED----- I sure hope our GOV. is not giving folks millions of dollars to find out this question. I have heard of swollen something HOOK, LINE and SINKER but I REALLY DON'T fish do this, ONLY HUMANS. Can it happen, of course, but I don't think the AVERAGE fish will do it and for some reason I think MILLIONS are spent on this very subject. :banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Banned
464 Posts
Just to add my two cents, I think that Chuck poses a good question. Science Teacher.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Bottom line the lead that is bad is typically disolved lead not solid, so if the fish carries around a wieght for a week it will not really affect it or the tissue.

For the longwinded answer keep reading, I warned you.

As far as the hooks, unless it is a stainless hook it usually begins to rust quicklyand the fishes body also secretes solutions that help it rust out. Hooks can rust out in usually 3-7 days. As far as the lead weights, No it would not increase the lead in the body to significantly higher levels. the lead that would accumulate in the body is typically dissolved lead. (not in a solid form - like the old leadded gasolines, there was not actually small lead weights in the gas it was a dissolved phase) this is where the fish will get the increased levels from. Most of the high levels are due to Bioaccumulation, that is where the fish in question easts manysmall fish,lets say 10,and these small fish have eaten 10 minnows with small ammounts of lead lead in them(lets say 1 part in each fish), and the larger fish ends up with almost all the lead in its body.(about 100 part). The lead weight that this fish of yours is carrying around for a short period of time would not even come close to increasing the levels in the fish tissue itself. The weight will more than likely be gone in a week and also the lead head was probbably painted which will slow the oxidation of the lead even more.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
SeaRay240/Mia Belle (12/28/2007)Just to add my two cents, I think that Chuck poses a good question. Science Teacher.
Are you saying we should spend 1 million or 10 million on finding this out??????? I will not say it but I can guess if you are a Dem. or a Rep. LOL..................

Does it increaselead in the fish, myabe, BUT WHO CARES. If doctors leave bullets in our solders and citizens who get shot because there is no harm after 15 years then why would you worry about a fish that has a lead weight in it's stomach, that most only live 15 years?????

Come on, give me a MILLION DOLLARS and I'll research it in my garage and buy me a HUMMER to boot.

IT maybe be a question of INTREST, BUT here is my problem. WHY DOES IS HAVE TO BE A MARINE BIOGOLIST that has to answer the question when COMMEN SENSE tells you the answer OR 95% of it.

Hell, I can come up with something that would VALIDAT the question and MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, I could get a grant for 25K to check it out. OF COURSE, I course I wouldhave my 3rd HARLEY sitting in the garage, and an answer for the Government, like why do frogs hop. LOL.......................

·
Registered
468 Posts
Deeplines........... I dont think we have to worry about people dying from lead poisoning from toys, however.... In most cases lead poisoning affects the chemistry and overall neurological function of the brain, which generally deteriorates over time. A lot of people are probably affected by the accumulation of lead within their system and dont recognize it on a daily basis. This manifests itself commonly with misspelled words, lack of perception and judgment - typically with name calling, ignorance about well accepted science, and a habit of politicizing peoples general statements, etc.

·
Banned
464 Posts

Deeplines:

IT maybe be a question of INTREST, BUT here is my problem. WHY DOES IS HAVE TO BE A MARINE BIOGOLIST that has to answer the question when COMMEN SENSE tells you the answer OR 95% of it.

I am not advocating spending millions to research the question, I only said that the man poses a good question.

As far as doctors leaving bullets in patients because it does no harm, that is ridiculous.

They leave the bullets there because there is more immediate risk

in removing them due to a critical location or condition than leaving them in place. Lastly, as far as common sense providing the answers, WHO SAID SENSE WAS COMMON...(or was that COMMEN)?

:doh

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
SeaRay240/Mia Belle (12/29/2007)_________________________________________________________
Deeplines:
in removing them due to a critical location or condition than leaving them in place. Lastly, as far as common sense providing the answers, WHO SAID SENSE WAS COMMON...(or was that COMMEN)?

:doh
MY POINT EXACTLY, Why would a doctor leave a lead bullet in someone IF it posed a threat to the person. Like I stated, it was by major organs so they left them but they were not worried about LEAD POISIONING. AGAIN, I say it is common sense that a lead weight in not going to hurt us. These practice has been going on for YEARS.

Take it the way you want but common sense tells you it will not HURT YOU.

Here is more for you..... What are your fillings made out of?????? SILVER????? How about 50% MERCURY, 25% Silver and 25% other lead. :banghead:banghead

The QUESTION as POSED was about SOLID LEAD..... NOT in a LIQUID STATE............:banghead:banghead

When you talk about my spelling because I didn't use the spell check then MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, you should check you fillings and see what they put in your mouth because your grammatical spelling is WAY OFF.. REMEMBER TO USE YOUR 's when using contractual words. ;)

This is about common sense and LEAD......... If you want to challenge me on my English then by all means make that a different thread. For a 10th grader I'm not that bad. LOL........... HOPE, YOU DIDN'T GO TO COLLEGE...... That would be embarrassing. LOL..........

Back to the Point, LIQUIDS or SOLIDS??????????? SOLIDS, no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
The real question to you,maybe should have been, could you still have caught the fish with a circle hook?

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I don't know if this contributes, but when i was a kid and would be at my grandpas, I would always chew on a few of the .22 caliber lead pellets for the pellet rifle. I feel normal.

I also swallowed a big handful of Copperhead BB's, just ot see if I could.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Clay,

Swallow a few more of them BBs and you won't need a weight belt!!!

WayneO

P.S.....you mispelled "to" (ot) :poke

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have no idea what the out come would be if any, but would be more worried about all the other crap in the fish. I mean the stuff that has been dumped for years in our waterways.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts