Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, Chris, the new forum is mucho better!! Thanks for the hard work.

OK - on the old forum, I always viewed by the last 15 posts or whatever. On the new one I have been using the "Recent Posts" feature to view all since my last visit or todays posts, but they both seem to timeout pretty quickly and I have to choose the search again even though I've been refreshing the page. Is this normal or am I missing something? Or, is there going to be a last 15 posts feature sometime?

Thanks again Chris!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Wharf Rat (10/2/2007)First off, Chris, the new forum is mucho better!! Thanks for the hard work.

OK - on the old forum, I always viewed by the last 15 posts or whatever. On the new one I have been using the "Recent Posts" feature to view all since my last visit or todays posts, but they both seem to timeout pretty quickly and I have to choose the search again even though I've been refreshing the page. Is this normal or am I missing something? Or, is there going to be a last 15 posts feature sometime?

Thanks again Chris!
Not normal. No problem here. What you can do is once you get the "Recent Posts" page up...bookmark that page. Then when you visit the site that page will be brought up. I feel it is better this way as you have to intentionally bring that page up. There were so many complaints,before, although I don't know why.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess "timeout" is not the right word. My search results are "expiring" after 20 minutes or so, even though I have refreshed them and am getting new results.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I am not understanding your question. sorry... Maybe we could talk on the phone about it or you could show me what you are talking about???

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The last 20 post are now available on the home page... I am trying to get it to go to the last post but am having problems because of the way the tables have the same filed names and I can not figure it out. The only way around it was to send the page to the bottom when you click on a link there which works OK. On long post, you may need to scroll up a little.

If anyone knows SQL and wants to help me out, here is my statement...

SELECT top 20 * FROM dbo.InstantForum_Topics t1 inner join dbo.InstantForum_Messages m1 on m1.postid = t1.topicid ORDER BY t1.postid DESC

Everything works except it wants to give me the postid from the messages table, not the topics table...

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Chris - sorry, didn't realize you had responded. I put a screen print below. Basically, it is expiring my search results based on when I first submit the original search, not when I last refreshed it. So I have to go click on "Recent Posts --> Posts added today" again. Could be as designed...either way, I was just noticing it.

Oh, and I'm not expert with the technology you are using, but did you try changing the order of your join in the SQL statement:

ie change --> m1.postid = t1.topicid to --> t1.topicid = m1.postid

Hall

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I will have to check on that error. I know that searches are stored in the DB but I am not sure why en expired one would produce an error.

No, I thought about trying that but haven't... I will try it now and let you know. I've been known to have them backwards in the past :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts