Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a great conditon 5hp nissian motor - but hasnt been used in a good while & the boat it used for is long gone cuase of several differnt probs. but the motor is fine. I thought about trying to put it on a differnt boat , or maybe sell it. but i have no idea whats required to transfer motor if it was part of an older boat.

does just a 5hp have to be titled or is it considered part of the boat that it was once attached to or what?

i mean for big boats it maybe differnt procedure ,, but just for a small out board motor , do i need any paper work or bs to put on a different john boat or , if i was to ever try to sell it - is is sellable with just the motor?

thanks for taking time to look

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
No title or paperwork is necessary, it is just a peice of equipment on a boat(which does require a title and to be registered if it is powered) no different than selling a life jacket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for quick anser DLo

but its a sticker on the motor part from like a lake permit i used to have yrs ago. & someone , altho it was some1 who wouldnt never understand i dont think.

told me something like the boat motor is titled with the boat.
& even if u wanna transfer to diff boat or sell it then i'd still need titlte from old boat.

thus is what has me confused , but with it being jus a 5hp out board motor , how would i even get a title for just the motor?

but if thats the case , same as a life jacket , then it dont matter then huh

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
No you don't need anything don't give the gubment anymore foolish ideas. I have a 3.5 and an 8 that I put on friends boats when I go with them because all they have is trolling motors.

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
No, motors are not titled. Only the hull.

When I buy a boat, lets say it is a $1,000 boat, motor and trailer. I write a bill sale for the motor for $350. Trailer $350, and hull $300. Then you pay vessel registration costs based upon $300, not $1,000.

To sell just a motor, I would write a bill of sale for my records only, maybe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts