Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I purchased two torium 30's to add to my arsenal. In my haste and impatience, I quickly spooled them up with fresh line. Then when I acquired the rods I wanted to use with them, I said ok, let's put the mounting brackets on. DOH! Not gonna happen with them full of line. Am I missing something here? Is there a way to put these on w/ them full of line? Does it require me to take it apart?

Thanks in advance! Hopefully I'm just an idiot and someone will point out a really simple way to do this!!!

hb

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you have another reel that is empty just respool to the other reel and put the brackets on then spool line back on. You only need to take a little bit of the line off to get the screws in the hole.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BigFishKB (12/1/2007)If you have another reel that is empty just respool to the other reel and put the brackets on then spool line back on. You only need to take a little bit of the line off to get the screws in the hole.

Dang...I wuz hopin' someone would tell me I am an idiot.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You can also take off the back side plate and slide the spool out with the line still on it. That will keep you from having to re-spool.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DoubleD (12/1/2007)You can also take off the back side plate and slide the spool out with the line still on it. That will keep you from having to re-spool.

Thanks! Took off the left side plate and got em on.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl6_lblFullMessage>you can laso get some penns instead

What in the world would he want to get some penns instead for. They're not heavy enough for a boat anchor and not muck good for anything else.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I like to keep an old reel around that I can take line off of reels for whatever reason...old Penns work pretty good :doh

I would just go without the mount for now until you respool

·
Registered
254 Posts
penns are time tested to stand up in saltwater unlike shimano, like I always say penns will last a lifetime and shimanos will last maybe a couple years if you actually use them:withstupid

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
the new penns are garbage and I have caught more bonitos on my spheros 4000 with 8 # ande back country than you can put in my 21' boat at one time in a 4 year period.I personally wouldn't keep a penn if someone gave it to me. They don't use brass gears and are the first ones to use graphite junk for parts and that my friend is the kiss of death on any reel if you plan to use it for any period of time. Graphite reels you use 3 times and throw to the fish and start over again.

·
Registered
254 Posts
try one of the new penn affinitys and see how they compare to the shimanos, and the graphite bodied ssg reels are made for mono and they WILL hold up even if you use braid, i have 15 pound braid on my 440 ssg and have caught everything thing from 27" redfish to 20 pound kingfish and a 90 pound shark

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
BigFishKB (12/1/2007)If you have another reel that is empty just respool to the other reel...
i use an electric screwdriver to despool reels. it's much faster and your arm won't get tired :hotsun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts