Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In general what does everyone consider an average amount of hours on a outboard per year?

and what do you think a motors life is? I know that this varies greatly but I am curious about the generalization?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I usually spend around 100 hours on my enginea year. I go out probably five times a month and rack up about7 to8 hours of actual engine running.Takeyour motor toa tune up shop every 100 hours or so and continue that process. Getthe motor cleaned up with new fluids and it should run forever.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
well, i just did a service on Robert Turpins 19 cape horn... he as over 1200 hours on his yammi and still going strong,,, and we all know he runs the crap out of that boat...:usaflag

·
Registered
941 Posts
Great question. I owned twin 2 stoke Yamahas for 8yrs and put 1200 hrs on them w/ no problems. Isaw the couple who bought my old boat 3 yrs later and they stillhad not had any trouble, but I have no clue as to how much they used the boat. I now have a single Yamaha 4 stroke that is approaching 500hrs toward the end of the 3rd season. That's a bit over 150 hrs on both boats per year. I think my 4 stroke will have double the life, but would love to know what the guys that see 'em all expect.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
a few years back I had a guy with a 2 stroke 200 with approx. 2000 hrs on it and ran strong and a commercial guywith a 4 stroke a few years old and had over 3000 hours on it and running strong. then again there are the ones that don't keep a clean engine and fuel system that blow up after a few years. if it is taken care of and <U>used regularly</U> they tend to last.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thats a great question. I don't think there is a real answer though as "individual result may vary." I wish I had an engine hour meter on my boat. I bought it new in 94 and conservatively I guess I've got well over 2500 hours on my Mariner 150.Granted most of them have been in fresh water but I still can't complain.(Hope I didn't just jinks myself):doh

·
Registered
41 Posts
Kenny, I have a 115 Yamaha and the warrantyis up this April 2008..... here is the good one.....I only have @ 50hrs on the motor (it show 95hrs because I left the key on and the hr meter still ran until the battery ran down) should I bring the motor in to you for a check up before the warranty runs out even with only 50hrs on it.....thanks for your help....

Have a good one....

Clem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts