Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is about the tell tail stream. Is the top stream supposed to be a constant uninterrupted stream all the time?
When the boat is running at idle the stream is mostly constant with the stream being interrupted every couple of seconds. The engine seems to run fine.

I would post a video from my iphone but... That seems to be a problem. I can't figure out how to do that either.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Should be a steady stream... Are you running on water hose or in the water? Some mercs will sputter a bit as the thermostat is opening but once it's open completely it should have a steady stream....If on water hose maybe not enough water pressure or to much water is escaping around the muffs....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
The blades to your water pump degrades over time and the amount of sand/sediment you pull into it. It's preventive maintenance you need to do or have it done. The tell tale is for you, not for the motor, so to say.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should be a steady stream... Are you running on water hose or in the water? Some mercs will sputter a bit as the thermostat is opening but once it's open completely it should have a steady stream....If on water hose maybe not enough water pressure or to much water is escaping around the muffs....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I am running the hose into the flush port, not muffs. I feel like it was sputtering some the last time it was in the water though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The blades to your water pump degrades over time and the amount of sand/sediment you pull into it. It's preventive maintenance you need to do or have it done. The tell tale is for you, not for the motor, so to say.
So would the water pump need to be replaced?

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,888 Posts
Most people change it out every year, usually the start of springtime. Others change out the water pump impeller every 2 years, and some don't until the head gasket blows, a little too late then.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the same motor on my bass boat, and I installed a water pressure gauge and change out pump when pressure starts getting low. Will save a lot of money on water pumps by not changing out prematurely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts