Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hunted a lot of things, but never quail. I have flushed them up on accident before, but other than that I have no idea where to start. I do not have a dog. Any ideas? Grab a shotgun and start walking? What types of terrain should I focus on? Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
I used to hunt them in Blackwater by just walking and pay attention to thick brush and bushes in the middle of otherwise not-so-thick terrain. Wild quail are not so common as they once were. I heard it was because of fire ants getting into their nests.

Be prepared to do a lot of walking. I would do it after 10:00 am. Let the deer hunters get out of the woods first.

·
Registered
100 Posts
hey man, glad you're wanting to pick up a different kind of hunting:clap! Well the best way to hunt quail is of course with a dog, but if that isn't a option you have, the best way to get an advantage of finding them is starting early in the morning at the crack of daybreak, between 6-7. Quail can be found anywhere in the woods, but the best way to find them is to find an area that has either been burned the year before, or in the last couple of years, where the brush hasn't really had a chance to get super thick, shin high brush is about as much as you want. The best way to locate them in these areas is to get there between 6-7 and park your truck and just get out and listen. This is usually the best time to hear them whistling, either early in the morning, or right before dark. make a couple loops around the area with your truck if there are roads, that way you can check to make sure you don't run into any deer hunters. Then once you check around, start stomping the ground trying to flush them up. Of course it's so much easier when you have 2 or 3 dogs, or at least 1 on the ground stomping ahead of you, they've really got the advantage cuz they can wind the birds for a long way off. Hopefully this helps, and good luck hunting!:letsdrink

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to wait until after deer season ends before I gave it a shot. Going to be hard for me to give up the last week of alabama whitetails to try something new. We dont have anything that has been burned out, but we do have a lot of clear cuts that are 1-2 years old and that is where I figured would be a good place to start. I'll post results when I go, and I appreciate the advice! I will certainly try to listen out for them. I wouldnt have thought of that if you hadnt mentioned it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
We have about 600 acres in Georgiana ,AL that seems to have a fair amount of quail. for years on the property bordering ours a guy raised quail and did guided hunts, so I'm guessing that contributed to the birds we see. I would like to try and hunt it, but don't have the dogs for it. So after season we are gonna try a 1/2 day hunt (guaranteed 12 birds) for $125 pp. in Georgiana. The # is 334-850-1215 it's about 2 hrs. from P'cola if anybody is interested. > Ken

1 - 5 of 5 Posts