Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10,620 Posts
I think you would be wasting your time trying to trap Stones here in the North Florida area. I have seen them in blue crab traps but not that many. They just don't catch like in central Fla. and down through the keys. You can find a few legal size ones when Diving just not that many here.

· Super Moderator
34,291 Posts
Didn't know there were any this far north.??

According to WEAR they showed a big basket of blue's and said they were stone crabs!!! then again we know how WEAR does things!!!!;):whistling::thumbsup:

· Registered
791 Posts
I have run several crab traps on both sides of the Garcon Pt Bridge this summer. I have gotten about a half dozen Stone Crabs this year. I was surprised when I got the first one in my Blue Claw trap. I didn't think that we had any Stone Crabs around here. Although we do have some I find it had to believe that it would be worth while to target them. Do you need a special kind of trap for Stone Crabs?

· Registered
331 Posts
You could use a milk crate. Stone crabs are not a swimming crab, so you could just pull it up a couple times a day, and if there was any in it, they would just sit there (instead of trying to escape).
I caught a bunch of dungeoness crabs in Washington with this method. You need to put something heavy in the milk crate to sink it (a rock). I would put them in a holding pen (two milk crates ziptied together) until you had enough to deal with. :whistling:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.