Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where i can purchase a push pole locally, an online dealer that is reasonable or have one for sale?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Good question. I was wondering that myself. Ever since getting stranded 6-8 miles down river one time. I am VERY trolling motor shy. I was thinking of making one... Maybe faom filled pvc pipe with epoxy seals? Dunno...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought mine from Accadamy its alum but floats and is about 6 feet long and expands to 15 I think. I bought it for gigging but have yet to use it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Guys I have a Brand New Biscayne Rods 22' Graphite. It weighs less than 6 pounds. It also has the steel Tip.

I'll sell it for $475.00.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I bought mine from Cabelas and I do belive it's 20ft 3 piece and I had to epoxy it together myself. It cost a whole lot less than a stiffy or hells bay and IMHO stands up to them. But i do like the stiffer poles so that all depends on preference.

CurtyV

·
Registered
8 Posts
many sporting good places have a metal "duckbill" end for duck hunters. Buy one of those and go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy yourself a 10 or 12 foot foot wood dowel and screw it on to the duckbill and for $25 bucks you should be set..and it will float...Good luck.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Theres a place in Panama city that carries some, Howell tackle on 98, I do not know more than that I just remember seeing them there.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I bought the 14' collapsible aluminum push pole with a duck bill foot from Academy and it was only like $25! It works fine for me and I use it on my poling platform which is a little over 4' off of the water.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Holy CRAP!!! almost $500 for a stick! I know it's carbon but damn. I have a classic car that I paid less for! My wife would beat my ass!!!:blownaway

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I don't know what orhow you fish or how long you plan on actually poling your boat or maybe you just think they look cool on a boat, but if you actually are going to use it which I feel that you will spend the extra money and get a push pole that is light and durable. Like Eric says the stiffy hybrid is a great pole mine is 18ft and weighs less than 4lbs I believe you will however spend $650 to $800 on a new one depending on length and tip options. I spend alot of time using mine and the 22ft biscayne rod that George is willing to part with at a steal!!!!! But trust me if your serious about flats fishing and sight fishing they are worth the price to get close to tailing or schooling reds. Good luck with your decision. Oh ya don't worry they do float as well!!!!!!!

Chad

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Serious has nothing to do with it. That is about 2 or three years worth of my fishing budget. I just dont make the money that some do. If I made the kind of money to buy things like that, I probably would.

I did not mean to come accross that it was a bad deal. I apologize for that. I was just looking at my Loomis catalog and the Loomis pole is $695. $695 will pay my house payment, water bill, and powerbill for a month! I'm just a poor man struggling to live in a rich man's hobby :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've caught many a red with the $12 wooden dowel from HD. The expensive ones are nice but thats alot of money. Seems easy to get stolen and if you use them other places than the flats possibly broken. Do the guys with the multi piece use them alot and have you had a lot of problems? I know Eric uses his much more than I have time for and on a much larger boat.

The duck feet are a little loud for me.Longer is usually better but you could over do it depending on your boat. Good Luck! SHB

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have a Stiffy Hybrid also, the best on the market in my opinion! Those green duck foot poles from Academy will get the job done, trust me a couple years ago I pushed my boat all over flats throughout Florida with one of those, but I could never do it again after using a real push pole. If you want my "lucky" ducks foot you can have it, just pm me...

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,548 Posts
Save your money. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and look in the lumber department. They have poles in any length you need. I think they are like 2 or3bucks a foot. Just have to sand the end down a little for your foot to fit...which you can buy at academy for $10. I got one of these poles3 years ago and it has been jam up. I put a good coat of paint on it and it works like a charm. I've used it for fishing and 2 gator hunting season now with out a hiccup. It may brake tomorrow but it can be replaced many times for the price of one stiffy.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chris Phillips (1/9/2008)I have a Stiffy Hybrid also, the best on the market in my opinion! Those green duck foot poles from Academy will get the job done, trust me a couple years ago I pushed my boat all over flats throughout Florida with one of those, but I could never do it again after using a real push pole. If you want my "lucky" ducks foot you can have it, just pm me...

PM Sent

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought a 10' stick of 1 1/4" PVC slipped a 3/4 pcv stick in it for back bone, capped and glued the ends and it works great.

I had a wooden one but it deformed and bent.

·
Registered
962 Posts
if chris's pole does'nt work out you should try and find a g-loomis there not that bad on price i got one used from "got salt" off one bill. it's a 18'

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys,

I really appreciate all the information. I think i will start off simple and go from there.

Thanks again,

Nick

1 - 19 of 19 Posts