1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
The way that posted law reads is INSHORE waters North of the Demarcation Line. That means in the bays only nothing offshore.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Not sure what he is doing but there is a very large boat dragging nets around the Destin pass and westward. Saw him friday and saturday. I cant imagine that he is shrimping in 40 ft of water. Anyone k now what he may be doing.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Shrimpers used drag nets all over the bay where it is only 15 to 20 foot. Used to see them east of 3 mile all the time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Eglin AFB has a permit to dredge sand on their portion of Okaloosa Island. As I understand it, to get a permit they have to have measures in place to reduce the loss of turtles sucked into the dredge. The trawler is trawling for turtles, not shrimp, with the idea that they can move turtles out of the way of the dredge and reduce the number killed. I would like to see the analysis that supports this idea cause I suspect the logic is pretty weak.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sealark (23/05/2010)The way that posted law reads is INSHORE waters North of the Demarcation Line. That means in the bays only nothing offshore.
That's correct, in the pass/bay. Lets see what kind of bait is in those areas, LYs right? What is following those bait schools, spanish, blues, skippies, trout, reds etc. Wonder what the bycatch toll will be????? Is the FWC going to be at the county line in the Narrows?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If there aren't any boats doing it does it even matter?

I wish I had a purse seine boat. I would be out there WORKING on the spanish, heck there is no limit right now (until the EZZ closure), just pretend like your circling up on LY's and smack the spannies, but like I said there aren't even any boats doing it. I believe all the big menhadden purse seine outfits packed up and headed west to texasabout a month ago. They usually fish out of MS and LA.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if there isn't any boats netting here, that's a good thing. Think it was a $$$$$$ driven decision????? I'm sure out of state harvesters have to pay someone.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
kanaka (23/05/2010)Well if there isn't any boats netting here, that's a good thing. Think it was a $$$$$$ driven decision????? I'm sure out of state harvesters have to pay someone.
The way I understand it was that theyare letting boats that normaly only work the gulf fish inland waters, because oil is coming and all the baitfish are going to die anyway. I could be wrong, but that is what I thought was going on.

I know most of the menhadden boats are big purse seine boats, and I've never seen one over here purse seining, but I'm sure they work their way down here sometimes. The last I heard the whole fleet relocated to texas after the oil spill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts