Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,894 Posts
I went through Alligator Alley a couple months ago. Construction in some areas mean a 12" shoulder with concrete barriers on the edge for a few miles at a time.

I wouldn't want to do that at night pulling a trailer.

Jim

·
Registered
888 Posts
There is some great advice on this thread. Much appreciated.

I bought a bottle jack, the trailer aid would not make it here in time. I am running 4 brand new tires, so hopefully, I will be good.

Picking up an infrared thermometer for sure. How hot is too hot? I have no frame of reference.
Check out Camping World, Northern Tool or Harbor Freight to get one local. There are many variations of the same thing. After having 4 blowouts on a single trip with my triple axle, wish I had gotten one sooner. Got real good at using curbs or random pieces of debris.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Check out Camping World, Northern Tool or Harbor Freight to get one local. There are many variations of the same thing. After having 4 blowouts on a single trip with my triple axle, wish I had gotten one sooner. Got real good at using curbs or random pieces of debris.
Correct Air Pressure in your tires is extremely important. Low air pressure will heat your tires and cause them to come apart and blowout.....Not to mention the wear on them from a long trip.

·
Registered
256 Posts
How hot is too hot? I have found perhaps 20-25 degrees above ambient temperature for the wheels on an axle without brakes that are not in the sun. Brakes (stainless discs) on my Bay Boat add another 10 degrees, and strong direct sunlight may add 5-10 degrees. On a hot day, 110-115 degrees is the base number on the hub, maybe 120-125 on the brake axle in the sun. I have never measured temperatures at 140 degrees on a hub that was in good shape; if I ever see 140, I am trying to figure out why and fix before heading back out on the road. It could be a dragging brake (common on older drum brakes), a tight bearing, or a looming disaster.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
How hot is too hot? I have found perhaps 20-25 degrees above ambient temperature for the wheels on an axle without brakes that are not in the sun. Brakes (stainless discs) on my Bay Boat add another 10 degrees, and strong direct sunlight may add 5-10 degrees. On a hot day, 110-115 degrees is the base number on the hub, maybe 120-125 on the brake axle in the sun. I have never measured temperatures at 140 degrees on a hub that was in good shape; if I ever see 140, I am trying to figure out why and fix before heading back out on the road. It could be a dragging brake (common on older drum brakes), a tight bearing, or a looming disaster.
150ish axle grease will thin up and should never really get hotter than that. 175 to 180 you will start or are already be damaging stuff and means you have some kind of problem. If you find one that hot don't pull it until it's broken down and checked. Also weight and speed will increase heat As long as you can keep your hand on it your good. Lot's of variables. if your making long rides all the time. Break'em down check the bearings and races once a year and top them of with grease every 600 or so. but check them every stop. And ya'll Rich to semi rich guys that don't want check things yourself get ready to have problem's sorry just the way it is with help these days. The Man with the name that made a big business is not gona take time to supervise every one that's incompetent on his payroll. But most of you already know this .LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you've had Eddie English go over the trailer and have new tires, you should be good. Word of advice, if you only have one spare and you blow a tire, your next stop should be to a tire shop to get the spare replaced. I pulled a 22' Pathfinder few years back to Big Pine Key with a 2011 Ecoboost. Truck did fine and you'll likely average ~10 MPG. Get a Sunpass and use the turnpike. Have fun!
Top off tire pressure!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even with a new trailer I'd take 2 bearing kits, two spares and a grease gun. Every 2 or 3 hours, stop, do a visual, feel everything for heat and add grease if necessary. On a trip like that there is nothing worse than having to leave your boat beside the road to go hunt for bearings or tires. Trust me on that.
Same here. I take 2 spare tires, 2 hubs with bearings, my Dewalt Impact, and a floor jack. I check tires and hubs at every fuel stop. My boat holds 140 gallons so I do not fill it up for the trip. Gas in Marathon is about the same as here in Biloxi and I feel better not having an extra 6-800 lbs. on the trailer.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Same here. I take 2 spare tires, 2 hubs with bearings, my Dewalt Impact, and a floor jack. I check tires and hubs at every fuel stop. My boat holds 140 gallons so I do not fill it up for the trip. Gas in Marathon is about the same as here in Biloxi and I feel better not having an extra 6-800 lbs. on the trailer.
Welcome aboard

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Cary you a few short pieces of 2x6s or other sorts of scrap lumber so jack doesnt sink in dirt or soft or sandy. Also nice to shim up so you dont have to pump that bottle jack 870 times in 100 degree heat on all fours
Good idea also a couple short 4x4s if a spring fails just jack up axle and put 4by between axle and frame proceed slowley and get it fixed. Yes I know it works. When I leave for keys I run speed limit to first rest area, feel axle at bearing if warm not hot. I dont worry about it until I leave for home. Always pump grease a couple times after in salt water on trips?

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Final suggestion. I take 2 days to go from pens. To KW. I leave my route as previously posted at 0200 am. Drive to sisters in Bradenton. Spend the night. Relax nest day and leave at 0200. Next day. Get to key west about 1300. Less traffic it's a tough dangerous trip in one day. I know you youngsters are bullet proof. I also have taken. 19-27-98-98 to brooksville east to 75 south. Don't go past 98 cutover it is crowded in tampa st pete. Stop and go. The toll road is at the 98 cutover if you want to pay the toll. It will end close to 75 past tampa st pete.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts