Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Would love to trailer a boat down there, but we've been a few times and rented some skiffs. Came out ahead money wise I think. But we spent more time on land than in the water. Have fun, it's beautiful down there!

Reactions: SHunter

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Take the wheels off your front axle. You instantly have 2 more spares, 2 spare hubs and you save money on tolls!

Reactions: MrFish

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,894 Posts
Use a cheap zip tie to attach your trailer lights plug to the truck receptacle. There should be holes in the receptacle to accept it. Vibrations will slowly slip the plug away from the truck receptacle.

If you keep looking in your rear view mirror, you'll be convinced you will lose your trailer at any minute. It bounces a lot.

Learn to use your side mirrors. Buy extension mirrors for your truck if it doesn't have any already.

Expect 10 miles per gallon on the road.

PLEASE stay out of the left lane on any highway.

Jim

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have made that tow a number of times from east TN, and a couple of times from Gulf Shores.
All of the advice you’ve gotten is good.
My list:
Spare tire (or 2)
Jack for trailer axle (I use a floor jack)
Battery powered 1/2” impact wrench with socket for lug nuts
Spare hubs with pre-greased bearings
Grease gun (I use the compact one) and spare tube of grease
Battery powered tire inflator - same brand and battery as impact wrench
IR thermometer
Rags and hand cleaner (easy to forget, and you will need it)
Everything except the spare tire(s) and the floor jack fit in a bucket with lid. I had a kitty litter bucket that was rectangular, and easier to pack than a round one. Pack it so it does not rattle, and where you can get to it quickly. Keep the IR gun handy in the console, and use it every time you stop. The wheels with brakes will be hotter, since you just stopped, and the wheels to the sun side will be hotter, by 5 -10 degrees in harsh sunlight

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
My Experience coming down for 20 plus years at 5 hours or so and longer than that going to LA on rough roads. Most important parts you need tools and to have spare Tires and at least one leaf spring shity roads will brake them then your in a bind but you can jack it up and stick a block of wood in it to get you to a safe spot. If your bearings are in good shape and packed properly. You should have no problems. BUT you have to keep a check on them regularly on a long trip. All the hubs and bearing in the world won't fix a damaged spindle. Being your sled has a double axles a good 2 inch ratchet strap can get you down the road in a emergency depending on if your axles are above or below the springs. If you even have leaf springs and not torsion axles. Good luck down there. And take some time to catch some stuff we don't have up here in the northern end!

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
And whatever you do while out there "goostering", make sure your legal on everything, I MEAN EVERYTHING, you'll get checked, don't ask, just trust me!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you do go the toll road route, grab a Sunpass transponder. Publix sells them, I believe. It'll save time at the manned booths and the fees are discounted.

Reactions: Corpsman

·
Registered
871 Posts
You're gonna have a blast. My buddy towed his 22ft down from here and had no issues. He had just done new hubs and tires before the trip. Take the toll way, it'll cost around $120 probably but it's worth it.

I tow a 10k lb boat from one side of the gulf to the other for work and we had issues all the time until Eddie English beefed up our trailer. You'll be solid. Tools and 2 spares. I've blown my share of tires (usually on terrible LA roads) always nice to have 2.

Just remember Blue blue sail on through, green green nice and clean, white white and you might, brown brown run aground. Sounds like your boat can go about anywhere I was running an old 22 Mako down there and it could be nerve racking.

·
lees way2
1,592 Posts
Get ya a trailer-aid and ya can forget about the jack for good. Lots of reviews say it wont work a boat trailer or a trailer with torson axels but it does. it will be the best 50 bucks ya ever spent. I have one if ya want to try before ya buy. I am off Avalon just N of I 10. Its a lot safer and quicker on the side of the road.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Get ya a trailer-aid and ya can forget about the jack for good. Lots of reviews say it wont work a boat trailer or a trailer with torson axels but it does. it will be the best 50 bucks ya ever spent. I have one if ya want to try before ya buy. I am off Avalon just N of I 10. Its a lot safer and quicker on the side of the road.
Nice tip, lees way2. Thanks! Adding one to throw next to my jack. I only use my trailers to get toys away from waterfront ahead of possible hurricanes - and last thing we need in that crazy time is wasting time on roadside.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,894 Posts
If you do go the toll road route, grab a Sunpass transponder. Publix sells them, I believe. It'll save time at the manned booths and the fees are discounted.

There are no more manned stations (At least in South Florida). If you don't have a SunPass they will send you a more expensive bill based on your license plate and it's address.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
There is some great advice on this thread. Much appreciated.

I bought a bottle jack, the trailer aid would not make it here in time. I am running 4 brand new tires, so hopefully, I will be good.

Picking up an infrared thermometer for sure. How hot is too hot? I have no frame of reference.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
There is some great advice on this thread. Much appreciated.

I bought a bottle jack, the trailer aid would not make it here in time. I am running 4 brand new tires, so hopefully, I will be good.

Picking up an infrared thermometer for sure. How hot is too hot? I have no frame of reference.
If you cant hold your hand to it for more than a few seconds it's to hot. But there gona get warm especially at hi-way speeds in the summer. About 180 ish is tops

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
A steel car ramp works or you can make one out of a crossarm or a few scrap pieces of 2x8s. Serves the same purpose and saves a lot of work on a tandem axle.

Reactions: Corpsman
21 - 40 of 54 Posts