Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went outside today to watch the storm for a while, in my side yard we sat there watching, when we both looked at each other and said "did you see that"? There were little puffs of smoke coming out of the ground in about a 30 foot radius,,,,, no where else in the yard just this area, this happend for about half and hour, we even went in to get the kids to have them see it. I have never in my life seen anything like this before, can anyone tell me what would cause this, kinda spooky, we have sat out on the porch many of times for the past 14 years and never saw anything like it. Now that I think of it should of gone in and got the camera,,,, not sure I have fast enough speed to have caught it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Do you have a septic tank? it could have been hot and moisture go to it making it steam? or static electricity from the lightning made it steam?? just a guess??

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sam, the septic tank is clear around the other side of the house, if it was lighting never saw anything like it. When lighting does hit aroundour house the whole house shakes,,,, did not do that today.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Let me tel ya story bout a man named Jed! Poor mountaineer barley kept his family fed...Black Gold, Texas Tea..:letsdrink

·
Registered
333 Posts
Come on guys ! This dude had a lagitamate ? and yall trashed his post !!!

Wish i had a answer for ya but i dont have a clue,however all BS aside i would have the soil tested in that part of the yard, good luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was raining hard,,,, never seen this before. If is was mushrooms what was in the area to cause them? Meaning the mushrooms? Are mushrooms not cuase by fesses? Do not know if I spelled that right?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
TrixiBme (8/21/2009)It was raining hard,,,, never seen this before. If is was mushrooms what was in the area to cause them? Meaning the mushrooms? Are mushrooms not cuase by fesses? Do not know if I spelled that right?
They grow in regular soil. Magic mushrooms are the only ones that grow in cow poop.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Per below website rain drops and or wind hitting a puff ball (spore filled mushroom) can cause them to burst and emit their spores. <H2 class=Heading3a itxtvisited="1"><H2 class=Heading3a itxtvisited="1">Rain Dispersal</H2><LI itxtvisited="1">Raindrops can strike the outer surface of a puffball to puff spores out the top. Rain can also effectively scatter exposed spores. </LI>

Wind Dispersal</H2><LI itxtvisited="1">Spores can be puffed out of a hole in the top of a puffball by gusts of wind. Wind easily disperses spores when the outer covering is degraded to completely expose the spore mass. http://www.ehow.com/facts_5164593_puffball-fungus-eject-spores-air.html</LI>

Mark W

·
Registered
782 Posts
if you are in a neighborhood that has been switching over to sewer in the past few years. ecua is injecting smoke into the lines, to check for leakes. if you are seeing the smoke you need to contact ecua.

·
Registered
13,627 Posts
I love this mystery !!

Puff The Magic Dragon LivesUnder The Yard, and frolics in the autumn rainon a naturallystormy day.

Now Really:

Do you have a septic tank in this area?

There are also areas of town which were built on a landfill, maybe a gas from that.

ECUA injection of smoke - I like that answer.

LoupGarou maybe coming to get you.

Please let us know when you figure it out, as an answer does exist, we have not discovered it yet!!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had a similiar experince a few years back..... smoke coming from the ground in three or four spots during a rain storm.... turned out to be an underground power line that had shorted due to the water...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have lived here since 1996 and have never seen anything like this,,,,, I guess it is the mushrooms, but what cause's them,,,,, I also have a new pet. That crawls under my house,,,,, a Cotton Mouth,,,, that I now have to deal with,,,, he or she is getting bigger, shed there skin, right where there getting in,,,,, under the house.

Just wondering, if the cotton mouth is causing these mushrooms?

Have 4 kids and a cat that I do not want anyone to get hurt..... How do I get rid of the Cotton Mouth?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
TrixiBme (8/22/2009)I have lived here since 1996 and have never seen anything like this,,,,, I guess it is the mushrooms, but what cause's them,,,,, I also have a new pet. That crawls under my house,,,,, a Cotton Mouth,,,, that I now have to deal with,,,, he or she is getting bigger, shed there skin, right where there getting in,,,,, under the house.

Just wondering, if the cotton mouth is causing these mushrooms?

Have 4 kids and a cat that I do not want anyone to get hurt..... How do I get rid of the Cotton Mouth?
I'm not trying to stir things up but how do you tell what kind of snake it is by their shed skin? I doubt a cottonmouth is living under your house.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts