Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went with a friend to a public spot off of Destin. We are not familiar with much in the Gulf up here but learning with each adventure. We wanted to see if we could try to get some mingos, vermillion, Beelners( all the same I think) and some mangrove, black, gray, mango snappers. We brought squid, frozen cigar minnows and L Y’s all caught by me at the Navarre Pier. We also caught cigars, hard tails sardines and pin fish on sabikis before heading out.
Trolled out to the spot with rapala x-raps with no luck. Found the spot and used the I-pilot to anchor. Sounder was marking good fish and quickly caught a 14” mangrove on a pin fish. Looks like a plan was going to come together. Next fish felt much better and wham. Goliath grouper on and “pop”! Horse up another mangrove around 16”. I-pilot shuts off and we drift away quick. Never get it to stay on long enough to fish so we decided to anchor. While anchoring a dive boat pulls right up to us and the young captain asked if we were leaving or staying. We told him we were anchoring and he said “ no problem, and good luck.” And moved on. I was shocked and impressed with his etiquette. I think it said Emerald Coast Diving or something close to that.
I don’t want to start on the fishing etiquette thing but I don’t fish spots if someone is already on it unless it’s huge, but that’s just me. Anyway we proceeded to catch a bunch of red snapper 18-27”, 2 small gag grouper, triggers, some giant pin fish and 1 small vermillion. Went home with 3 fish but had an awesome fun day. And the Goliath grouper got 2 more fish also!
Are the vermillion in fairly deep water? We were only in about 70’.
And I was reminded how much that I-pilot makes life easy. My arm is still cramping from pulling anchor.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sounds like a great day! I’m happy you had a good experience with local dive boat.

Vermilion snapper can be found in all depths. I seem to have more luck with them in 100+ ft of water on natural bottom. Live bait works best.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,986 Posts
I fish in 70-90 depths and have caught mingos. The deeper waters have more/bigger than shallow. Using squid on a double hook dropper rig using the smallest hooks possible.

Hope the i-Pilot issue is minor, it makes fishing a spot sooooo much easier.

·
Super Moderator
28,512 Posts
Nice.....and yeah that Ipilot is a must have!!!

·
Pro-Line 200 Sportsman
7 Posts
If you don't have an IPilot then an anchor ball is the way to go. No more pulling the anchor and 20' of chain off the bottom for me.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Like everyone says. You can catch mingo at most depths, but 100+ feet on natural bottom seems to be the ticket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts