Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im hunting public land this year(first time ever).

i didnt shoot a thing this past season, and i dont want the same thing happening again this year.

so where are some good public land in Northwest Florida to hunt(using a 12 gauge)?

what do i need?

(any other details would be great)

im hunting white tail, and want to possibly have a shot on a hog.

and if you know of any land nearby that i can bird hunt (in florida), the details would be great.

thanks

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Thats why its called hunting and not killing...nothing is guaranteed....as far as public land there is blackwater, eglin, and several others in the area...all depends on where you want to hunt...your best bet is to get a rifle...right now you can find a deal on one...and do some home work and look at topo maps and go walking...but be use to have a GPS...makes getting lost almost impossible

·
Super Moderator
29,457 Posts
Blackwater or Eglin is about your only choice around here (river management too) but I would also suggest getting a good rifle fer better luck cause there are some wide open shots in some areas....Jason II mentioned a GPS which would be great ifin you go into areas that may be un-familiar...Good luck on the up coming season....:usaflag

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Using just a gun on public land really lowers your chance of killing a deer.. think about it, if you bow hunt you get over an extra month of season to hunt. Plus you can shoot any deer that doesnt have spots. During gun season you can only shoot antlered deer. Your best bet is to get a bow and learn to shoot it.

I dont see many people on here giving up their public land hunting spots. Most of the public land areas around here have plenty of deer on them. Just get out and start doin some scouting. If you look on a aerial photo site, like bing maps, you can look at the terrain youre gonna be hunting. Find a few creek bottoms and start your scouting around there. Walk the edges until you find a good trail coming across the creek and sit in the stand. If you put a little time and effort into scouting you should be able to kill a deer next season for sure

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, you got to do alot of walking. It's hard to get used to hunting an area that is wide open. I scared off several deer my first year. They can spot you from way off, if you don't have good cover. Start by the thick stuff, it will be by the rivers and streams. Look for the corners and points, where the thick stuff turns into open areas. if you have cameras, put them out. if you have multiple cameras, I'd put them into on big area. I had two camera's about a 1/2 -3/4 of a mile apart and I noticed some of the same deer on each camera. They would come by the first camera about every 49 hours, like clock work.

It takes a little time, but once you got it you'll be good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts