Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so go ahead and make fun of me.. But I've always hunted on private land to where we could load up the kill on a four wheeler or truck bed moments after the action. I hit a snag this year and wasn't able to pay dues for the club, so for the fist time ever I will be hunting on Eglin and or Blackwater.

Fist off, any advice? Lol I live in Navarre and would like to stay around the highway 87 area. I've read alot of the posts around here on the area and it seems to be populated enough, and I imagine I would be walking in a mile or two tracking/stalking. But here is the million dollar question. How the hell do you guys get you kill out?

I've had a friend who gutted then and there and tied it up in a sling system and wore him on his back while walking through the rough.. Is that literally my only option?

Thanks and the laughing and name call may comense in 3...2..1..

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I've had a friend who gutted then and there

You guys down here dont normally field dress the deer before you take them out of the woods?? I have always dressed them out where they lay before taking them out of the woods.

I have pretty much never had the option of a 4 wheeler and have always had to drag mine out. I normally field dress where it drops, then, depending on the size, I either tie a rope around the rear legs or the head, wrap the rope around my shoulders and start dragging. The buck I have hanging in my shop dressed out at 200 pounds. I tied the rope around his antlers and dragged him under and over trees that were fallen all over the place...

I was thinking that with it being warmer down here, the first thing you all would do is gut them out......

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Ok, so go ahead and make fun of me.. But I've always hunted on private land to where we could load up the kill on a four wheeler or truck bed moments after the action. I hit a snag this year and wasn't able to pay dues for the club, so for the fist time ever I will be hunting on Eglin and or Blackwater.

Fist off, any advice? Lol I live in Navarre and would like to stay around the highway 87 area. I've read alot of the posts around here on the area and it seems to be populated enough, and I imagine I would be walking in a mile or two tracking/stalking. But here is the million dollar question. How the hell do you guys get you kill out?

I've had a friend who gutted then and there and tied it up in a sling system and wore him on his back while walking through the rough.. Is that literally my only option?

Thanks and the laughing and name call may comense in 3...2..1..
they have a quota part of the season where only quota holders can hunt so make sure you know what days you can and cant hunt

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
We use a deer dolley like the one outside9 posted or in some places we would use the old tie em to a limb and put it on your shoulder and walk it out. But I have that option because I always hunt with my dad. Deer carts or anything else is a must. Dragging and deer a few hundred yards sucks! We got our deer cart from academy in pcola for $70.

Its normally too hot in my opinion to gut a deer and take it to the house. They used to provide a public cleaning station in which that would be fine but a 45min drive gutted could spoil the meat.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Its normally too hot in my opinion to gut a deer and take it to the house. They used to provide a public cleaning station in which that would be fine but a 45min drive gutted could spoil the meat.
I was always told the opposite.... that if you didnt gut the deer it would spoil quicker cause the internal organs still put out heat for a while after the animal is dead, so you wanted to get them out so the meat would cool down some... plus if you happened to hit the wrong internal organ, it could spoil the meat pretty quick... so we were always taught to field dress them as quickly as possible.

I had one up in Maryland that I had to leave lay in the woods over night one time.. couldnt get to it to dress it out or anything, outside night time temps were down around 40 so I figured it would be okay.. next morning went and found it and dressed it out. Lost about half the meat on that deer cause it sat over night with the guts inside.... even with the lower temps. Back in my younger days on the farm we would field dress them, then bring them up to the barn and hang them for couple of days to let them bleed out, then cut them up.... course temps at that time were around 50 during the day.. so lot cooler then here..

Guess thats part of the difference about hunting here and up there.... not field dressing them doesnt bother me none, I can let the butcher do the gutting... was never a favorite chore anyways.. LOL

·
Bearded Brotula
12,132 Posts
I was always told the opposite.... that if you didnt gut the deer it would spoil quicker cause the internal organs still put out heat for a while after the animal is dead, so you wanted to get them out so the meat would cool down some... plus if you happened to hit the wrong internal organ, it could spoil the meat pretty quick... so we were always taught to field dress them as quickly as possible.
You are right. It will spoil the meat. Field dressing gets the internal temp down faster. It's not a northern thing either. I grew up just south of Montgomery and everybody field dressed their deer. It wasn't until the internet that I learned people don't do that much.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys, I will have to go and look for one of the deer carts, and as war as field dressing them, I don't mind taking care of it there. But this is one reason I prefer hunting clubs with coolers and work stations. But we must make due. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
I have a game cart, chained to a tree at our lease i have never used, it was $49 at Sportsman's guide, guess I need to get it ready!

Oh I gut, quarter and put on ice, bet that is against the law...OK then I gut put 2 bags of ice in the cavity and take to the processor 40 min away..he prefers them untouched and they do it all.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who or what is everyone's favorite butcher or processor? How much do they charge. My buddy usually processed all my kills at the lease's cooler/butcher area for part of the take home.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I haven't joined one this year due to financial issues. That's why I'm doing the Eglin and Blackwater hunts his year. Just don't know any butchers for hire.

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
Here is a listing I have started:
Processors

Smokehouse Steve Hawthorne 1230 Co Rd 20, Kinston, AL 36453 334-565-3954

Six Brothers Food Stores
727 Mayflower Avenue
Fort Walton Bch, FL 32547-3173

The Deer Shack in Panama City

(850) 872-0286
2229 N East Ave, Panama City, FL 32405
Near St. Andrews Bay

Oakes Meat Processing, LLC
2503 Segrest Rd
Pace, FL 32571-9228
Toll Free: (850)995-0404
Fax: (850)995-0586
E-mail:
[email protected]

Lee's Meat Market

5703 Stewart St, Milton, FL 32570(850) 623-1541

Ron Vanderpol

84 Cantering Hills Lane Molino, FL 32577
(850) 587-3735

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
I went the cheap way out, got married had a son, fed him for 18 years and now he does all that. Oh wait, did I say the cheap way?

I have a game cart, chained to a tree at our lease i have never used, it was $49 at Sportsman's guide, guess I need to get it ready!

Oh I gut, quarter and put on ice, bet that is against the law...OK then I gut put 2 bags of ice in the cavity and take to the processor 40 min away..he prefers them untouched and they do it all.

·
Registered
13,093 Posts
I use a plastic sled. Yep, the kind they use up north to play in the snow. Put the deer on, put the rope around my waist, and drag on. It just slides right over the ground. Plus...weighs nothing and works in sand as well. Also goes right over logs.

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
I use a plastic sled. Yep, the kind they use up north to play in the snow. Put the deer on, put the rope around my waist, and drag on. It just slides right over the ground. Plus...weighs nothing and works in sand as well. Also goes right over logs.

That is a great idea, now if I could get one here...lol can you say AMAZON??

·
Registered
263 Posts
+2 on that idea!.....Brilliant :clapping:

Do you pack it in if you are going to be hunting a good distance from the truck? I'm thinking maybe paint one earth tone or camo and take it in with me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
+2 on that idea!.....Brilliant :clapping:

Do you pack it in if you are going to be hunting a good distance from the truck? I'm thinking maybe paint one earth tone or camo and take it in with me.
Great idea and good question.. I'm curious of this too..?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts