·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm sure the intent is to save lives but why dosen't it apply to vehicles or trucks or any type of reckless driving?PWCs? Now there's some reckless driving for you!I'd ask for some statistics to back up the targeting of motorcycles. Is there an innordinate amount of motorcycle deaths in Florida due to high speeds or reckless driving?Seizure may already be allowed for vehicles and somehow motorcycles were not included in original legislation. I know in Tennessee you "may"seize a vehicle used in the commission of a felony but I can't recall a vehicle being seized for reckless driving.Depriving driving privilege is one thing butseizing and forfeitureof property is another.By the way the officer has NO discretion as I read this law. It states SHALL which is mandatory if the person is charged under this statute.

Generally, speeding in and of itself is not reckless driving. Honestly the 30 mph over is a little conservative.On a flat straight stretch of uncrowded interstate or controlled access road with good visibility, weather, and conducive traffic patterns,80,90 and even 100 mph may not be considered reckless.Reckless driving usually involves the willful and wanton disregard for lives or property, an act beyond mere speeding.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
speaking as one who would have been subject to that law many times, that sucks, i hope it has been shot down.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
David, this wasn't about safety. It was about all the fat asses cruising around on their 40k Harley knock-offs without mufflers. Personally, I've logged some 50k miles on bikes = mostly racy style sport bikes and never had a problem with noise issues. There are noise pollution statutes and also muffler requirements on the books so I fail to see how new laws are necessary, but if some fat old bald dude wants to cruise around with straight exhausts at 10am on Suday and disrupt the crispy brunch crowd, I'm all for it. That said, if he's in violation of noise or muffler laws, then he ought to catch hell.

Personally, I don't like loud stuff. If your boat, car or bike sounds like a train, then you ought to get it fixed or pay a fine. Nothing makes me sicker than some 40 something lawyer on a Harley with straight pipes wearing no helmet and sounding like a horde of giant bees, WTF?

·
Registered
174 Posts
How about 58 year old construction workers who want to be seen ,or at least heard by the cell phone using , mind somewhere else Escalade driving road hogs that pensacola seems to be over stocked with. Now there is a subject I personaly can shed light on.:)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hal I have no doubt bike week and tourist cruising around on their "hogs" reving their engines ruffle a few feathers with certain people.However, from reading the referenced law in the original post I can see no reference to noise at all.It is strictly a reckless driving and speeding issue as the statute is written.I can't believe the legislature would dream of seizing personal property over noise violations.No where in this particular law is noise or the measuring standards mentioned.It seemed odd the proposed law dosen't address the hearing procedure to either get your property back or how the seized property is to be legally disposed.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
There are noise pollution statutes and also muffler requirements on the books

Yep and the ECSD does not enforce them. Hyundai with Fart pipes on them.

Same with the F#*#[email protected] crap coming out of the windows of some vehicles.

Vote a new Sheriff in when it's time.

·
FastCast Custom Rods
1,069 Posts
HARLEY FISHER (10/10/2007)How about 58 year old construction workers who want to be seen ,or at least heard by the cell phone using , mind somewhere else Escalade driving road hogs that pensacola seems to be over stocked with. Now there is a subject I personaly can shed light on.:)
Loud pipes save lives. Yep!!!!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
HARLEY FISHER (10/10/2007)How about 58 year old construction workers who want to be seen ,or at least heard by the cell phone using , mind somewhere else Escalade driving road hogs that pensacola seems to be over stocked with. Now there is a subject I personaly can shed light on.:)
:clap:clap:clap:clap

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I don't know how anyone, who actually read this proposal, could say it has anything to do with noise or Harley's. It is clearly aimed at the Sport bike riders who think their bike is a unicycle and insist on popping wheelies on public highways and weaving in and out of traffic at 90+ mph. I am against the proposal as for the seizure. There are laws on the books already that could take care of these individuals if LE can catch them. JMO

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sorry guys. I didn't read it. There is another proposal that deals with loud bikes in a particular town. I assumed it was the same issue and we all know what happens when one makes stupid assumptions. Carry on. Stupid law.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sorry to inform you guys that "loud pipes save lives" is a falsehood. I suggest you read the Hurt Report (no pun intended, that is really the name of the report) 77% of all motorcycles accidents are from the FRONT, only 3% are from the rear where "loud pipes" can be heard. In other words 77% of the time when you are in a motorcycle wreck, it is from the front and your "loud pipes" won't be heard.

Anyway, I am not directing this at anyone in particular, just suggesting that instead of being mesmerized by loud pipes, focus on riding skills, what, how and when accidents really occur ,WHY they occur.

I just got back from NC and riding Deals Gap, Cherahola Skyway, etc... It is amazing the number of people who follow the loud pipe line of thought when it is completely wrong. Of course, some people think riding with a helment causes head injuries too.

If loud pipes REALLY saved lives, you can bet BMW would have a straight exhaust system. Instead, they have one of the most sophisticated suspensions and braking systems in the world. THIS is more likely to get your azz out of jam than any free flowing muffler.

I ride a Honda St1300 and Suzuki DL 650 (one kept in NC, the other here in FL), the absolute fastest guy to ride the Tail Of The Dragon is a fellow called Yellow Wolf and he rides a Gold Wing, lives in Maggie Valley. He used to film people riding the tail and was challenged a few times to the point of "what if you can't keep up on that thing?", he would simply retort, the DVD is free in that case. To my knowledge he never had a non-paying customer, he'd dust you on a Harley or crotch rocket, didn't matter. I've only ridden the tail 4 times as 318 curves in 11 miles is NOT enjoyable to me. However, if you want to see all kinds of motorcycles, hang around Deals Gap (population 7) and talk with Brad (the owner) about what he has seen, oh, and get his opinion on loud pipes vs riding skills.

Anyway, if you want your loud pipes, have them. Realize though, you are doing the sport of motorcycling (and yourself for that matter little or no good) the money you spend on the pipes would be better spent on rider education.

Sorry to drag up an old post but this loud pipes gig is nothing but an old wives tale.

RM

·
FastCast Custom Rods
1,069 Posts
RHM (10/17/2007)Sorry to inform you guys that "loud pipes save lives" is a falsehood. I suggest you read the Hurt Report (no pun intended, that is really the name of the report) 77% of all motorcycles accidents are from the FRONT, only 3% are from the rear where "loud pipes" can be heard. In other words 77% of the time when you are in a motorcycle wreck, it is from the front and your "loud pipes" won't be heard.

Anyway, I am not directing this at anyone in particular, just suggesting that instead of being mesmerized by loud pipes, focus on riding skills, what, how and when accidents really occur ,WHY they occur.

I just got back from NC and riding Deals Gap, Cherahola Skyway, etc... It is amazing the number of people who follow the loud pipe line of thought when it is completely wrong. Of course, some people think riding with a helment causes head injuries too.

If loud pipes REALLY saved lives, you can bet BMW would have a straight exhaust system. Instead, they have one of the most sophisticated suspensions and braking systems in the world. THIS is more likely to get your azz out of jam than any free flowing muffler.

I ride a Honda St1300 and Suzuki DL 650 (one kept in NC, the other here in FL), the absolute fastest guy to ride the Tail Of The Dragon is a fellow called Yellow Wolf and he rides a Gold Wing, lives in Maggie Valley. He used to film people riding the tail and was challenged a few times to the point of "what if you can't keep up on that thing?", he would simply retort, the DVD is free in that case. To my knowledge he never had a non-paying customer, he'd dust you on a Harley or crotch rocket, didn't matter. I've only ridden the tail 4 times as 318 curves in 11 miles is NOT enjoyable to me. However, if you want to see all kinds of motorcycles, hang around Deals Gap (population 7) and talk with Brad (the owner) about what he has seen, oh, and get his opinion on loud pipes vs riding skills.

Anyway, if you want your loud pipes, have them. Realize though, you are doing the sport of motorcycling (and yourself for that matter little or no good) the money you spend on the pipes would be better spent on rider education.

Sorry to drag up an old post but this loud pipes gig is nothing but an old wives tale.

RM
Whatever you say. All I can say is they've saved my butt on more than one occasion which is good enough for me.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
RHM (10/17/2007)Sorry to inform you guys that "loud pipes save lives" is a falsehood. I suggest you read the Hurt Report (no pun intended, that is really the name of the report) 77% of all motorcycles accidents are from the FRONT, only 3% are from the rear where "loud pipes" can be heard. In other words 77% of the time when you are in a motorcycle wreck, it is from the front and your "loud pipes" won't be heard.

RM
I understand your point and your philosophy from what the RULE BOOK SAYS but I would have to disagree. You can add all kind of variables in if you would like, someone has there windows up and playing music and all that. If you think a Harley's pipes can not be heard in front of it then how can you explain folks turning to look WELL before you are to them when the rider don't even give it gas. Give it gas and you will hear the motorcycle coming. LOL

I agree with most of your post but not this one. IS IT A WAY TO BET YOUR LIFE, Heck no it is not but your info is wrong. Folks do hear those pipes. Yes, I have taken a safety course but after that I spent money on PIPES. The ones on the Fat boy are not ear shattering but loud enough. The ones on the Softail is kinda loud though.

I don't use them to hurt folks ears but most motorcycle riders will tell you they are ALWAYS looking out for the OTHER DRIVERS. A quick twist on the throttle is most likely better then a horn. ;)

I could say that it is safer to drive drunk because more wrecks are caused by sober drivers then drunk drivers but that statement would not be true if you count how many sober drivers are driving that wreck and how many drunk drivers are driving that wreck. # remains though more sober drivers wreck then drunk ones. LOL...........

I would assume that if you are at the finish line of a drag strip then you would not be able to hear the dragster push the gas on thier engine 1/4 mile away until they passed you. ROFLMA.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Ibelieve that they DO make me MORE visible. I have had folks turn their heads to look as I aproach as well as many friends tell me later they heard me well before seeing me.

I also agree with getting as much riding education and skill practice under your belt as possible. Even with riding my whole life, I still opted to take a riders safety course last year AND I wear a helmet now(MY choice). Sooooooo....saying all that, wouldn't it make sense to go one step further and add one more measure of protection if only a small measure? I am a believer , as most riders are, that the next guy out there is gonna get me. So even if it offers me only a 1% chance of being heard andthat offers a1% chance that it MIGHT make a difference.....AIN'T it worth the chance? Given the choice between NOT being heard and MAYBE being heard......I'LL take MAYBE everytime

·
Registered
158 Posts
RM[/quote]

Whatever you say. All I can say is they've saved my butt on more than one occasion which is good enough for me.[/quote]

I agree and speed has saved my a** a few times too. yes I ride a rocket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts