Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looks like it will be going someplace other that the site next to caribe

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Calibri">On Tuesday morning, December 18, 2007, members and supporters of the Preservation Committee made a presentation to The Baldwin County Commission. Our presentation was in rebuttal to The City of Orange Beach?s presentation in support of their resolution <SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Calibri">that would express the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:placeType w:st="on">County</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Commission</st1:placeName>?s support for <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Orange</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Beach</st1:placeType></st1:place> to pursue permitting a boat launch facility on Perdido Key between Caribe and our Ono bridge. Both sides were well represented but we believe there were more Onovians there than others. Presenters from Ono in favor of our position were Larry Chamblee, Jim Monnier, Pete Burns, Wilma Trent, Dick Carson, Gary Nichols and Ben Pelligrini. Mr. Robert Adair representing The Sierra Club also spoke on our behalf. <SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Calibri">The vote was 2 to 2 on the resolution with Commissioners Gruber and Gruenloh voting for Orange Beach?s resolution and Commissioners Burt and Bishop voting against (a vote against was a vote in support of our position). A tie vote means <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Calibri">Orange</st1:placeName><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Calibri"> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Beach</st1:placeType></st1:place><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Calibri">?s resolution failed! A special thanks to all who made the trek to Bay Minette.

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Calibri">Although we won this vote and we expect <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Orange</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Beach</st1:placeType></st1:place> to relocate their plans to a more suitable location the Committee will press on with the ultimate goal of moving that land on Perdido Key into ?Forever Wild? or a similar agency.

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Calibri">Now we must move on with other critical needs of the Island and approach our neighbors in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Orange</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Beach</st1:placeType></st1:place> with humility and a look to the future in repairing any rift this struggle may have caused in our relations. We have offered Mayor Blaylock any help we can in selecting another site and aid with the approval process, as appropriate.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Good News (In My Opinion)!!!

I have all along thought the location was a terrible idea. A major bottle neck would have been created if the plans went through. A bottle neck from a vehicle standpoint and a boating standpoint. Very congested area right there for boats and cars without new develpment.

I do think Orange Beach needs another boat launch. Just not in the location they came up with on the Ole River. I'm certain everybody can put their heads together and come up with a better spot.

·
Registered
390 Posts
While I agree that isn't an ideal location for a boat ramp because of additional traffic on Perdido Beach Blvd,lets call a spade a spade. The owners on Ono didn't want to have to look at a boat ramp on Old River. Thanks however for your generous offer to help them find another location. I'm sure the residents next to it will be thrilled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts