Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Proline 2950 with twin Suzuki 300s. New in 2017. Handling has been an issue. She's a butt heavy old girl (I usually like them that way) but she's tough to handle (I usually like them that way too but not in boats).

Went to Accuprop in Pcola a few weeks ago. Discussed it with Dennis. He loaned me 2 4-blade props to test. One was an 18 pitch and one a 19. Had to turn off sync to keep them at the same RPMs. The 18 pitch blew the rev limiter at 5900 so looked like 19 was the trick. But, these were 15 inch props. The Zukes can swing a 16.

Got the new 16 inch props today and stuck them on after work. Man what a difference! Before I couldn't stay on plane at less than 28 MPH. With the new props (light load) I was on top at 10 -- yes 10 MPH. Incredible difference.

Also my MPG at 30 MPH went from 1.5 to 1.8! That's pretty big over a 100 mile run. Used to be at 4200 RPM I was running 30. Now I run 36 at 4200. At 30 I'm turning 3700 RPM.

So, yes, props make a difference. As for the right shop, Accuprop gets my vote! Thanks again Dennis!

·
Green Eggs And Ham
11,959 Posts
I did the same thing with my Suzuki, had a 21 pitch 3 blade ss, had plenty of speed but slow on plane and no power in ruff weather. put a 14 x 17 4 blade ss and what a huge difference, jumps on plane like a jet ski now I get WOT at 6000 @ 37mph. I run about 55 to 60 miles on about 11 to 12 gallons.

Did you see any lift in the stern at all, with the 4 blades?

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the same thing with my Suzuki, had a 21 pitch 3 blade ss, had plenty of speed but slow on plane and no power in ruff weather. put a 14 x 17 4 blade ss and what a huge difference, jumps on plane like a jet ski now I get WOT at 6000 @ 37mph. I run about 55 to 60 miles on about 11 to 12 gallons.

Did you see any lift in the stern at all, with the 4 blades?
Yes! The stern lifts like a sorority girl at homecoming! Plus handles better at the dock (like a sorority girl on spring break). She's a different boat. Just need an offshore trip to fully validate the change. High-speed for wahoo is now a possibility!

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
I'm a little confused.....You started with 4 X 18 X 15 & 4 X 19 X 15?

Yea 15in props are not made for the Big Suzuki's......Not and work like they are suppose to.

It's the low gear ratio's in the Suzzies......They can swing that larger 16in wheel.

So Accuprop ordered the 16...Or did you order the 16? Suzuki prop or some off brand?

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They ordered Powertech LFS4 16 hubbed for Suzuki. I tested the 15s and yes, they were mismatched 18 and 19 pitch. Turned off the sync so I could run them at the same rpm.

The 16s (with match pitch) are an incredible improvement over the 3x16x18.5 for sure.

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Powertech LFS4 16

Yea...That's what I figured.

I bet they don't have any 3 blade 16's or 4 blade 16's in Stock?

But with all the Big Suzuki's 200, 225, 250, 300's in V6's....we have in this area now...They need to.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea...That's what I figured.

I bet they don't have any 3 blade 16's or 4 blade 16's in Stock?

But with all the Big Suzuki's 200, 225, 250, 300's in V6's....we have in this area now...They need to.
Agreed, but with overnight shipping all they do is set the proper hubs for the engine type. So I only went down .5 in pitch, but the additional blade and surface area make the difference. I kept slowing down waiting to fall off plane and at 10 mph thought... yep, these are the right props.

Now if I had a speedy hull like a center console or stepped hull and cared more about speed than comfort, the 3 blades would be superior

·
Green Eggs And Ham
11,959 Posts
It's a good feeling I know that, I could have probably went with an 18 pitch but I like the hole shot in rough seas and going through the pass. Not to mention it's probably less load on the lower unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts