Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....... Since the Prop Shop botch3d the repair on my Suzuki prop, I’ve been contemplating buying a 4 blade prop. The question is, What pitch and diameter?
I’ve been running the original prop that the Prop Shop repaired. It’s a 3x151/4x19.
First of all, What is the advantage of 4 blades?
Is it just better hole shot?
The boat does great with the origi prop, I just don’t care for the ugly repair. I know the bumps and lumps in it affect the performance and possibly cause some cavitation.
I found a 4 blade on eBay for $249.00
It is a 15x20

motor is a 2017 Suzuki DF150
Boat is a 2017 Pioneer 202 Sportfish

·
Registered
969 Posts
It all depends on your RPM's ! A 4blade generally gives better hole shot and a lot more control at low idle and in reverse . That said it works the best on an "ass heavy" boat. Also , you generally need to move down 1-2 degrees in pitch as compared to a 3 blade.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input.
My boat is not ass heavy by any means. They built it with a 32 gallon livewell in the console instead of in the transom to equally distribute weight.May just purchase a new 3 blade identical to the one that came with the boat.It works well with the boat.5500 rpm at WOT and 40 mph. I seldom run at WOT, usually between 3500 and 4000 rpm

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,930 Posts
I suggest you contact Ken at Prop Gods via e-m or call.
He will need at the least: WOT rpms via gps, engine, gear ratio, mounting hole, brand of boat Weight would be nice.
Hard to guess over the 'net. Just because someone else has a similar setup doesn't mean its ideal for you.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,930 Posts
You have to decide what you want out of the new prop. You might be happier with a SS prop because the alum prop lost some of its pitch/shape thru its life.
Call Ken, if you have to leave a message, he'll call you back. He fixed my issue, I'm happy.
He's used to fielding questions, just make sure you got the info he needs to make recommendations right then. Unless you don't mind playing telephone tag.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. My current Prop is stainless but Im looking at options..
gonna get my numbers together and give Ken a call

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Ken is a good guy. He grew up in Pensacola. One place where a four blade often comes in handy is staying on plane at a lower RPM. So if it is rough and you have to run slow, you can often stay on plane where a 3 blade would have you plowing.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Contack the boat manufacture and ask there opinion.

Reactions: Hook

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Like said above. 4 blade will give better hole shot. I would go with same type prop if it performed good. Bill son must run the prop shop now.They used to good.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I ordered a 4 blade aluminum prop to try on my Tracker. Was advised to slightly reduce the pitch. Ebay had the best price. After a few weeks I received an e-mail stating my order would be canceled and they would refund my PayPal account. Yesterday the prop was delivered. I assume they will realize sooner or later that I got a free prop and charge my account again.

·
Super Moderator
12,721 Posts
Don't put an aluminum prop on a bay boat... please.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not to worry, there will be no aluminum props on my boat. Looking to get a four blade stainless prop. Probly 15 x 18
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,602 Posts

In the keys aluminum is the general rule. 1/2 the price and when you run aground in the keys it's like hitting concrete. And it is possible to slowly limp at idle back to the ramp with only on blade left on your piece of scrap aluminum prop.5 years in key West I know. Always carry a spare.
Oh and have a spare cotter key. If you dont have one make sure you keep it in forward . hit reverse without a key and you could spin the prop off.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts