Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How you all doing tonight? I bought a boat last summer and I'm worried about it b/c it will 7k at WOT. Its a 305 mercruiser with an alpha 1 outdrive. I have only ran it to 7 once trying to see if the prop had the right pitch. Well obviously its doesn't!!! Max rpm should be around 5400, i normally cruise around 3200. My question is which way do I need to go with the prop to get the rpm to come down and how will that affect the performace of the boat. I mean it gets on plane pretty good. Its a 22ft thompson carrera, cuddy cabin. What are your opinions on this?

· Registered
1,025 Posts
That engine should be maxed out around 4800 rpm. Need a bigger prop to bring the rpm down.... With that said, your tachometer may not be set correctly and be reading to high of rpm's. Check the back of the tach and see if it set for an 8 cylinder engine. If it is not, then set it first and go run it. If the readings are what you say, take the boat to accuprop so they can see what you have set up. They can get what you need. But, from what you are saying, you would need 8" or moreof pitch gain to bring your rpm down. You shouldn't be able to get on plane hardly right now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.