Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
eating tasty
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early 90's Evinrude 70 hp on my 16 ft. flat bottom boat. The other night on the way in from the pass, the motor and boat performed normally at low (less than 2500 rpm) but whenever I went to give the boat more throttle the engine speed increased while the boat's speed did not. It was almost like the prop was slipping or something. The motor revs but the prop will not spin any faster. I eased it into the ramp at slow speed not wishing to break anything... have not had it out since. Any ideas what this could be??

·
Registered
257 Posts
not a pro here but just an idea

some props have a piece of rubber in the hub that is there to prevent major damage when you hit something. ie. the prop will hit a log and the rubber will let the blades stop spinning while the hub still spins. other props have a shear pin that does the same thing except after the log you will need to replace the pin in order to get back home.

you may have a slipping piece of rubber. put your motor in gear while its not running and try to turn the prop if you can twist the prop then it is time for a new one. If the prop is bad then the outside will spin and the inside will not. (make sure to disconnect the spark plug wires on the motor cause you don't want to start it will you are turning the prop by hand.

·
eating tasty
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys... I'll try and spin it in gear as soon as I get home. I'm fairly mechanically inclined but have NEVER worked on an outboard... is this something that can easily be done at home? How much $$ do ya'll think I am looking at?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Hey Bender,

Probably not a home job, but pull the prop and take it to Accuprop or prop shop and they can press in a new hub for ya. Shouldn't betoo much. I'd guess less than $100 total parts and labor.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Difinitly not a home job. Requires a funnel, of sort, and Hydrualic press. Take it to Bill at the Prop Shop on Navy Blvd. Probably around $75.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts