Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to say the guys over at Brandon Automotive are top Notch.Drove the boat over to Daybreak Monday and they pulled the motor out.2500 lbs of diesel was pretty heavy.Loaded it on the trailer and took it to the shop.Spent today pulling the motor down and removing the sleeves.Just like we suspected the O rings on the sleeves were completely gone.You could see where the water was getting into the crank housing.All i need now is a complete gasket set and O rings and will have it all back together.Everything looked really good other than the gaskets and O rings.Sucks having dumped so much into this boat and never really got to use it but at least Ill have 1 rebuilt motor.The other Motor runs like a champ but at least after doing 1 doing the other in the future wont be half as bad.Should have the motor back in and runnin like a champ in 2 weeks.Stand by for reports.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE.... Got all the parts cleaned up and ready for primer today.Took all day cleaning and using power brushes and what not.Got my price quote on the upper and lower gasket and seal sets including the O rings for the sleeves.300 dollars.I spent that on a replacement solenoid the size of 2 quarters on my old outboards and here it only cost me 300 for a complete gasket and seal set for a diesel.Am i missing something.People say that the bigger the boat and stuff the more money pit but my experiences so far is my old boat with outboards everything was tripple cost what it has been on these diesels.Ill take some pictures tommorrow and post em up.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is helping out more than anything i have had .Ill owe you big time on that one scott.The biggest thing really is torque specs and clearances.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didnt do it lol.I plead the 5th.Heard you was gonna sell them photos lol.
Here is some pictures of the rebuild in progress.This has definitly been a learning experience.
Most of it is common sense.Thanks again Scott for the book.It has helped out alot.
Here is the block sanded cleaned and primed

Here is the transmission.Degreased and put in primer

Bunch of parts all cleaned and primed

Heads and piston sleeves and rocker arms.Took all day cleaning this stuff up

here is the other side of the block.The oil cooler is laying on the ground.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts
Lookin good Will. Question:Are your engines raw water or fresh water cooled? Liner 0-rings don't just go,theres a reason why they failed. Cavitation in the cooling passages are notorious for o-ring failures and even corroding liners to the point of making holes in them.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are fresh water cooled.use the normal heat exchanger.The O rings failed when the Motor severely overheated.The thermostats were shot.There was alot of little things that added up.I dont think the O rings have ever been replaced on the sleeves.It actually wasnt all of them it was one cylinder and the piston has some serious scars on it on the one that was leaking.Im replacing the liner and piston on that cylinder.I already acid cleaned the heat exchanger and cleaned the whole cleaning system.Replacing all the hoses and impellars and zincs also

1 - 13 of 13 Posts