Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
69Viking (4/12/2010)
Bill Me (4/12/2010)It is what they are paid to do. Usually very polite and fast so does not really seem like a big deal.

...... If they are going to pull people up they should be more random about it and not focus so much on the fishing boats. Yes I understand they want to check our catch but I shouldn't be able to sit and watch them for 2-3 hours from Harry T's and see them pull over nothing but fishing boats while passing up a buch of recreational boats, that's B.S.

It got the best of me. That "FWC Destin Pass" thread started blowing up so I can's resist commenting on this.

Does anyone else see the humor in a member of this forum complaining about PROFILING? I suspect if this were a topic, other than fishing, the comments would be in favor of profiling.

AND:

No, I'm not bashing either of these posters, I just saw a little humor in this discussion.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
But isnt that their job to check fish limits?? and dont fishermen catch fish therefor subject to being checked:doh

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
fisheye48 (4/13/2010)But isnt that their job to check fish limits?? and dont fishermen catch fish therefor subject to being checked:doh
I thought theFWCwas on the water to check all boats for safety and general boating rules at random, not just fish catches but maybe I'm wrong. When I can sit at Harry T's for 3 hours and watch one or two FWC boats pull over nothing but private fishing boats with poles exposed then that is not them doing their job IMO. That is not random. Why aren't they checking other boats for safety items, why don't they check charter boats catches? I've even seen them pull up on the beach and check the one boat that had fishing poles showing but leave the other 10 boats on either side of that boat alone.

It didn't use to be like this a couple of years ago. It was random, sometimes you would get pulled over sometimesthey would pull over a recreational boat. These days if you go through the pass with fishing poles showing you are most likely going to get checked. I've owned boatsin the Destin area for 10 years and I've been checked more in the last two years than i ever was in the previous 8 years. So yes I'm on this forum venting, why should one particular type of boat get harassed while other boats with drunks and out towners breaking the no wakerules get a pass? Not sure why we needed another post forthe same discussion :banghead

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Well the "W" does stand for <U>w</U>ildlife as indeer, turkeys, FISH, etc.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=789><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD colSpan=2><TABLE style="WIDTH: 763px; HEIGHT: 71px" id=Table7 border=0 cellSpacing=0 summary="Top Navigation" cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="WIDTH: 665px; HEIGHT: 41px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><P style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffcc; WIDTH: 142px" vAlign=top align=left><DIV style="WIDTH: 142px" id=left-box-global>FWC Home About the FWC Commissioners Org. Structure Programs Conservation Issues Economic Benefits Fast Facts Strategic Plan Long Range Program Plan

</DIV></TD><TD style="WIDTH: 647px" vAlign=top><TABLE style="WIDTH: 647px; FLOAT: left" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD><H1>About the FWC</H1></TD></TR><TR class=Body><TD vAlign=top><TABLE id=table3 border=0 cellSpacing=0 width=210 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=8 width=10></TD><TD><P class=BodyCenterSmall>"We Are the FWC" video
<EMBED height=186 name=mediaplayer1 type=application/x-mplayer2 pluginspage=http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/ width=170 src=../images/Videos/WeAreTheFWC_Feb10_512kbps.wmv loop="false" autostart="false" enablecontextmenu="false" showstatusbar="true"><NOEMBED></NOEMBED>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=Body>Our mission: Managing fish and wildlife resources for their long-term well-being and the benefit of people.<P class=Body></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><P class=BodyCenter></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
swhiting (4/13/2010)
69Viking (4/12/2010)
Bill Me (4/12/2010)It is what they are paid to do. Usually very polite and fast so does not really seem like a big deal.

...... If they are going to pull people up they should be more random about it and not focus so much on the fishing boats. Yes I understand they want to check our catch but I shouldn't be able to sit and watch them for 2-3 hours from Harry T's and see them pull over nothing but fishing boats while passing up a buch of recreational boats, that's B.S.

It got the best of me. That "FWC Destin Pass" thread started blowing up so I can's resist commenting on this.

Does anyone else see the humor in a member of this forum complaining about PROFILING? I suspect if this were a topic, other than fishing, the comments would be in favor of profiling.

AND:

No, I'm not bashing either of these posters, I just saw a little humor in this discussion.

Yeah, just imagine if the fisherman were a muslim....

·
Registered
117 Posts
FWC: Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation

They are the marine patrolaround here butare also paid to check your catch and regulate fishing laws, which is why they sit at the pass. What would be the point of pulling over a recreational boat that's on a sunset cruise if they aren't doing anything wrong and passing up avessel loaded with fishing equipment that may have an illegal catch? It's kinda like the interstates/weigh stations...police won't pull overa passenger car if abiding by the law but will regularly require big rigs to weigh in to check their load, to make sure they are abiding by the laws of the road. Yes, it may seem unfair but that's the trade-off that you get when purchasing a vessel intended for fishing.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
69Viking (4/13/2010)
fisheye48 (4/13/2010)But isnt that their job to check fish limits?? and dont fishermen catch fish therefor subject to being checked:doh

I thought theFWCwas on the water to check all boats for safety and general boating rules at random, not just fish catches but maybe I'm wrong. When I can sit at Harry T's for 3 hours and watch one or two FWC boats pull over nothing but private fishing boats with poles exposed then that is not them doing their job IMO. That is not random. Why aren't they checking other boats for safety items, why don't they check charter boats catches? I've even seen them pull up on the beach and check the one boat that had fishing poles showing but leave the other 10 boats on either side of that boat alone.

It didn't use to be like this a couple of years ago. It was random, sometimes you would get pulled over sometimesthey would pull over a recreational boat. These days if you go through the pass with fishing poles showing you are most likely going to get checked. I've owned boatsin the Destin area for 10 years and I've been checked more in the last two years than i ever was in the previous 8 years. So yes I'm on this forum venting, why should one particular type of boat get harassed while other boats with drunks and out towners breaking the no wakerules get a pass? Not sure why we needed another post forthe same discussion :banghead

years ago the limits were alot more lax...if you dont like the job they are doing then call the FWC office over there and explain your concern and anger with the, and if that doesnt work call tally and complain to them...then write your congressmen and/or senator...by you complaining on here does 0 good...we all are upset about the limits that were set on us...so by them trying to regulate the limits even more i applaud them for doing it

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
alanbarck (4/13/2010)Well the "W" does stand for <U>w</U>ildlife as indeer, turkeys, FISH, etc.
Ding ding ding - we have a winner !!!!!

FWC check fishermen and hunters -

USCG do random boat checks

Oncean Al marine police busted through dozens of boats to pull me over -

All I was doing was idling along near AL point - with a hot babe on the bow with an OMG - just barely therebright yellow bikini on.

I probably would have done the same ......

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Not much ya can really do or say about them doing there job. There are several other entities out there to check recreational boaters;Coast Guard,Sheriffs dept.and such so the FWC just targets fisherman. Personally I ain't got nothing to hide and most of the Seasoned veteran FWC guys avoid me when the see my boat. Knowing your rights and the laws allowed me to break there balls(in a polite way)that they don't want nothing to do with even talking to me. :shedevil I'll explain the next time I see ya Scott.

·
Registered
117 Posts
bonita dan (4/13/2010)most of the Seasoned veteran FWC guys avoid me when the see my boat. Knowing your rights and the laws allowed me to break there balls(in a polite way)that they don't want nothing to do with even talking to me. :shedevil I'll explain the next time I see ya Scott.
I always enjoy a good story, too! :letsdrink

·
Banned
257 Posts
It is all about the money. Just think of the probabilities involved, much more likely to finda big money wildlife violation instead of a small money equipment violation.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
bonita dan (4/13/2010)Not much ya can really do or say about them doing there job. There are several other entities out there to check recreational boaters;Coast Guard,Sheriffs dept.and such so the FWC just targets fisherman. Personally I ain't got nothing to hide and most of the Seasoned veteran FWC guys avoid me when the see my boat. Knowing your rights and the laws allowed me to break there balls(in a polite way)that they don't want nothing to do with even talking to me. :shedevil I'll explain the next time I see ya Scott.
I look forward to it Dan! And to all of you busting my balls I'm not worried about them checking my catch, I abide by the laws and personally have nothing to hide either. What I mind is theyassume I'm doing something wrong because I have fishing poles showing. Not to worry, getting stopped on my first trip through the pass this year just reminded me I need to put my rods in the horizontal rod holders when I'm done fishing and plan to go through the pass or anywhere near the Destin Bridge or Destin Harbor! Peace out guys!:letsdrink

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have already been stopped several times this year so one could tend to believe I might start getting some wave thru's in the future

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,153 Posts
I've had the Marine Patrol pass up Florida registered boats to stop my Arkansas registered boat.

When is the last time you saw a charter boat stopped and checked? :nonono

I once was going through the no-wake zone at the exact speed as a charter beside me. Guess who got stopped for going too fast? When asked why, the officer replied "they have to go that fast to maintain steerage". Twin inboards that can spin their boat in a circle, and they can't maintain steerage @ 5 knots? Sounds like a hokey excuse to me. :doh

Sea-r-cy

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Honestly I think it has to do with the economy a bit too.

I do not live in Florida but in the past two years Ive been checked for my liscense while fishing on the bank as well as stopped on my boat more that I have ever been before! These guys are bringing in much needed revenue for cash strapped states. Maybe Im being cynical but I swear Ive seen more State troopers on the highways too in the past year or so.

I must say Ive seen the same thing here too with them checking just fishing boats. I can be sitting in my 16ft john boat on the Ohio River being checked while a 40ft cat goes flying by at 70+MPH and they do nothing.

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WW2 (4/13/2010)
swhiting (4/13/2010)
69Viking (4/12/2010)

AND:

Yeah, just imagine if the fisherman were a muslim....
THANK YOU WW2!

I hereby submit this thread as a prime of example of THREAD HIJACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started a new thread for a little humor in another thread, as to not hijack that thread.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts