Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried both of these processors smoked sausage? I have always used Lee's in Milton, and his is always outstanding, but was thinking about trying something new, since Carl's offers some different flavors beside plain smoked. If anybody has tried Carl's sausage, let me know what you thought about it. They also vacum package it for you. Opinions please...and thanks...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I can only speak for Carl's, but they make a smoked link sausage that has cheese and japalenos in it and it is awesome, I always get several lbs. They also make a summer sausage that is pretty good. I think this year they started a link sausage stuffed with pepperjack cheese, but I have not tried it. I would not however recommend the stuffed smoked bacon wrapped backstraps carl's offers.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
i've used them all. carls is great. you know what it cost and how much your going to get when you drop off. no worrying if you get all your deer. great customer service. their guys will practially run you over to get your cooler out of the truck. the jap/chs is great for grilling. the cajun is good enough to add to any dinner................tony

·
Registered
567 Posts
saltgrass (2/16/2010)Call Ron Vanderpol. They are doing processing now and price is good and the meet is exellent!!!!!!!!!!
I just took some to him this past sunday, and the meat sticks and jerky he let me try were very good. We will see about the rest soon.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BobbyD (2/16/2010)
saltgrass (2/16/2010)Call Ron Vanderpol. They are doing processing now and price is good and the meet is exellent!!!!!!!!!!
I just took some to him this past sunday, and the meat sticks and jerky he let me try were very good. We will see about the rest soon.
I'll be darn, Ron is doing meat processing. I had not heard that, thanks for the info...I have used him for a couple mounts, hope his meats are as good...I will have to call him and check it out..lot closer for me too..thanks guys..

·
Registered
632 Posts
Not trying to Hijack but I heard Cajun Specialties over behind Mcguires in Pensacola is doing processing now also. Anyone tried any of there stuff?

Also I have a lot of Summer sausage from Lee's and it's good. Wish it would've had jalapeno and cheese but I'll live. Also Lee's was priced good

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
hyco (2/16/2010)i've used them all. carls is great. you know what it cost and how much your going to get when you drop off. no worrying if you get all your deer. great customer service. their guys will practially run you over to get your cooler out of the truck. the jap/chs is great for grilling. the cajun is good enough to add to any dinner................tony
+1!!!!! Going to pick some up from them after I get off work tomorrow!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Carls makes the best smoked sausage.Theirjalapeno/cheese and their pepper jack is great.They have a quick turn around too.It took about 1 1/2 weeks to get mine back.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the opinions guys...I just dropped of 150 pounds (bone in)at Carl's, so hopefully will have a good report soon...getting a little bit of everything, haha...O, and FYI, they stop processing on Friday the 26th in case anyone wants to try them, you better get moving...thanks again fellas...I will bring some to the PFF get together in March, and hope to meet some of you...

Andy

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Pierce07 (2/16/2010)Not trying to Hijack but I heard Cajun Specialties over behind Mcguires in Pensacola is doing processing now also. Anyone tried any of there stuff?
Dropped off a few tenderloins there last year and had some stuffed with shrim/crab and others stuffed with crawfish and they both were GREAT! I've also ate some of their burger patties they process from deer meat and they add jalapena and cheese I think and they were ok. I believe they will also process sausage links for you, but they don't smoke it - you have to do that yourself.They aren't cheap though! Overall, I'd say the stufftenderloin is worth it, but all of the other I'd just assume take to regular processor like Lee's, Farm Fresh, etc.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
This isn't regarding one of the processors you mentioned, but I'll throw this in the mix since it's on topic. (I know you've already made your choice, but this might help someone in the future) Oakes processing in Chumuckla is awesome. I took one deer there a few (I think 3) years ago and got most of it ground into burger meat and the rest into smoked sausage. Hands down, the best sausage I've had. Last year, we did everything ourselves... but this year my brother and I had a very good couple of days and we took them a couple hundred pounds and got a TON of sausage made. (Half was their mild flavor - mom and wife like it. and the other half made into their cajun flavor - dad, brother and my favorite) Once again, extremely high quailty meat. Good price. Overall, just some good guys to deal with. Thanks to the Peacher family for turning us on to them.

Oake's in Chumuckla will continue to get our business.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Pierce07 (2/16/2010)Not trying to Hijack but I heard Cajun Specialties over behind Mcguires in Pensacola is doing processing now also. Anyone tried any of there stuff?

Also I have a lot of Summer sausage from Lee's and it's good. Wish it would've had jalapeno and cheese but I'll live. Also Lee's was priced good
I have had several thing's done at Cajun Specialties. Their stuff is great, but man are you ever going to pay for it. They mix your deer meat pound for pound with beef tomake hamburger, so you are actually getting a half and half mix. Double's your poundage which double's your bill. Mix in the bacon, cheese, and pepper's and it really climb's up there. But it is damn good!

I have some at Ron's now for the beef stick's and jerky. Also can't say anything bad at all about Oak's. Kenneth and his crew are good people. JMO

·
Registered
13 Posts
ive tried em all and hands down carls is the best you get to keep your cooler and they bring it in and take it out and clean it for you and put it back in your truck .....tried cajun spec this year for the first time and wont be doing that again too costly and was not impressed with the link sausage....also carls does a great job trimming your meat no silver skin left the sausage from cajun had all kinds of chewy stuff in it ...not good at least try em you wont be dissappointed....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank 9pts...I was impressed by the professional treatment at Carl's...no question about what or how much you will be getting back. I will still take some to Lee's as well, but wanted to try some of the different things available at Carl's...I'm glad it seems most are pleased with them...and they vacuum seal most stuff for you, that's a big plus in my book.

·
Registered
42 Posts
LABDOG3 (2/17/2010)Thanks for all the opinions guys...I just dropped of 150 pounds (bone in)at Carl's, so hopefully will have a good report soon...getting a little bit of everything, haha...O, and FYI, they stop processing on Friday the 26th in case anyone wants to try them, you better get moving...thanks again fellas...I will bring some to the PFF get together in March, and hope to meet some of you...

Andy

Dang Andy, sorry I missed this post. Dad took all of mine to Carl's about a month ago when he was making a sales route. I could have let you sample some of it. It turned out pretty good, we ended up getting the regular, cajun, and pepper jack. Pretty tasty!

Casey

1 - 20 of 24 Posts